Hospital Births

snailien

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

Sorry for butting in on this lovely Birth announcements thread but am after some stories on hospital births please....

How relaxed was it?

How much are you able to move around?

Can you get yourself into a position that suits you for contractions and giving birth? or do you have to lie down on the bed?

This is my first and I don't really know what to expect...

Thanks in advance. :flower:

i think the best thing for this would be to ring up your hospital labour ward and ask as every hospital are different and dont want to say something that may not apply to you :)

i think the best thing for this would be to ring up your hospital labour ward and ask as every hospital are different and dont want to say something that may not apply to you :)

Thanks for your advise :D I will do that. Am definately interested in hearing peoples experiences though... have been watching some birth diaries but they're home births so don't give me a great idea of what to expect in a hospital.

Have you had a tour of the Hospital you're thinking of having your little one in? I found it very useful and the Midwives were happy to answer any questions :)

As for my experience; I had a Hospital birth and it was as relaxed as it could be. Quite a few things 'went wrong' during the birth of my Daughter and the Midwives kept me informed of what was happening at all times, offering encouragement and explaining everything when I asked.

I wasn't able to move around very much during the birth but that was because I had to be constantly monitored and then opted for the epidural. If I could've moved around I would've been able to though.

As for the actual birth, you can get yourself into a position that's best for you and the most comfortable. I had to lie in the bed because I couldn't feel my legs but I was still able to move around to a good position for me.

Hope this helps :)

Have you had a tour of the Hospital you're thinking of having your little one in? I found it very useful and the Midwives were happy to answer any questions :)

I haven't yet no, I'll ask midwife about this too. Thanks :thumbup:

It depends on the hospital. I didn't most of my labouring at home but came to hospital and did the last few centimetres against the side of the bed. Didn't want to lie down in the bed as it made things worse for me. You should do a birth plan of what you do and don't want to happen during your labour and make sure you talk it through with your midwife.

You couldn't have a tour of the hospital that I had my baby in, but they did have lots of info that you could get.

Personally I was laid down on the bed, but that's because I put myself there, there was lots of space in the room to move about if you wanted. Some of the rooms had birthing pools/balls, but the one that I was in didn't, I hadn't planned to use them but if you wanted to probably best to ask how likely you are to have access to them.

I thought the whole thing was pretty relaxed, I went in first to the day clinic (they didn't think I was in fully established labour so went to be checked) where they found I was 8cm and internal broke my water so they moved me to labour ward! I ended up having 2 midwives at the birth, the first one was really nice, the second one shouted at me a bit, but I needed her too cos I don't think I'd have pushed properly otherwise (she did apologise afterwards too). They ended up having to cut me, and putting a monitor belt on cos baby's heartbeat was a bit random, but it was all explained calmly to me, I knew exactly what was going on all the time.

The other thing I wondered about was whether you'd hear the person in the next room, I couldn't until I went into the ensuite shower room afterwards.

I know it's a personal choice but I'd much rather be in hospital and have the people/equipment there to help me if I need it. I had a pretty straightforward birth but still glad I didn't have a home birth.

Hope that helps, and hope it all goes well.

yeah i would suggest trying to get a tour of the hospital you intend to have your little one in. Im going to try and have a tour once OH is here. But if not the next time im at the hospital then i will be asking all my questions. Most hospitals have tours avaliabe though.

Sorry for butting in on this lovely Birth announcements thread but am after some stories on hospital births please....

How relaxed was it? Relaxed enough for me

How much are you able to move around? As much as i liked i had no problems. Only the G&A didnt reach all that far, lol.

Can you get yourself into a position that suits you for contractions and giving birth? or do you have to lie down on the bed? Both labours i moved as freely as i wanted through the contractions. When it came pushing first time, i just got on the bed, didnt think twice about it and pushed. Second time didnt wana lie on my back because of SPD, mw suggested all 4's on the bed so tried it, and then started to push

This is my first and I don't really know what to expect...

Hey hun i just posted a thread about hospitals and stuff.. and it has a good link in it for the types of questions you asked. Mines for northampton general so make sure you search for the hospital your going to be at ...

https://www.babyandbump.com/pregnancy-third-trimester/261159-questions-your-hospital.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->