Hot bath now so frightened...

esmemuppet

Mummy to beautiful Holly
Reaction score
Just had a hot bath as have been terribly constipated and thought it might help...not red hot...skin wasn't red when I got out and not too hot to get into but not 'warm' either...now just googled it and am terrified about birth defects...any advice? Sorry for being so anxious!!!

Don't worry, I think 'too hot' is jacuzzi kind of temperature or the kind of hot bath that reddens your skin. It sounds like your bath was fine, so try not to panic xxxxxx :hugs:

Agree with PP, i think it's sauna like heat we need to avoid. I had a lovely warm bath last night it always relaxes me. I really wouldn't worry.

I would avoid saunas and jacuzzis but a warm bath should be ok x

The rule of thumb is not so hot your skin turns red. I'm sure you are fine.

You and baby are 100% fine. You would need to be in an extremely hot tub like a Jacuzzi for an extended period of time. Even being in a hot tub for a little bit of time won't hurt. It's OK, hugs.

When my friend was 35 weeks along, I found out she'd never heard about the no-hot-baths rule and had been having them and trips to the sauna all her pregnancy. Her baby was completely fine. Of course these things can increase your risk of things going wrong but it's very unlikely that one single hot bath would do any harm. Plus the often quoted rule is that it's too hot if your skin turns red, which yours didn't.
As far as I know, hot baths can be a problem because they can change your body temperature and heart rate etc, which can be dangerous for you (eg fainting) and also baby. But chances are you'd feel off way before it got dangerous, sweating, feeling faint etc. So really, I wouldn't worry!

Yes, I agree with everybody. My last pregnancy I asked my midwife and she actually hadnt heard of baths being an issue because they cool as you're in them, she even had suggested hot epsom salt baths. From what I've heard, so long as you're not uncomfortable and profusely sweating then baby is fine and protected in there.

Hot baths are fine. It's only when the water temp is hot and stays at a high temp for a long period of time. Bath water starts cooling as soon as it's in the tub.

Thanks so much for all the reassurance ladies...you would think I would be calmer second time around!xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->