Hot boiled water or cool boiled?

starrybean

Proud Mom of One
Reaction score
After reading Nessicles thread about premaking, I thought it would be interesting to see how many people add their formula to hot water compared to room temperature water... Will add a poll!

I use hot water in a flask to mix my formula into but only Cus reading on here about bacteria - otherwise I think I would have just used room temp water!

I use room temp or cooler water

just started using room temp as we discussed :flower: xx

We use hot water from the kettle after reading about the bacteria thing but for the first few weeks we always used room temp boiled water and he was absolutely fine, we just changed to be on the safe side really.

Hot water because the milk powder isn't sterile. We started off with room temperature water and it didn't mix aswell and also gave her a bit of a tummy upset.

I use room temp cooled boiled water. I know they say the powder isn't sterile but TBH I have never heard of any dire situations from doing it this way so I'll continue doing it like this until I do.xx

We're using Staydown now so doesn't really count!
I started with cooled boiled water (adding powder as we needed it), but then I just started making with hot water and putting in the fridge to save time when LO was hungry.

I know milk powder isn't sterile, but if you are using the bottle straight away, any bacteria isn't having time to multiply to levels that would be dangerous.

I microwave the cooled water and add the formula only because the formula wont mix properly at room temp.

Nessicle- How do you get the formula to mix properly with room temp water? I always get chunks of formula throughout the bottle?

Or else ya I would do room temp.

The milk Holly is on is imported from the US. On their US website it says to make with cooled boiled water, on the tins imported to the UK it says to make with 70 degree water. It's exactly the same formula, but different countries have different regulations :wacko: Someone told me the UK guidelines came about because of a case of infant botulism, suspected to be caused by contaminated formula...

By cooled boiled water they mean water that has cooled for 30mins, not cold boiled water.

I just boil the kettle and let the water cool off a bit but not any longer than 30 mins then mix with formula & stick bottles in the fridge. TBH though the water is still pretty hot, hot enough that when you try and hold the bottle you burn your fingers x

The milk Holly is on is imported from the US. On their US website it says to make with cooled boiled water, on the tins imported to the UK it says to make with 70 degree water. It's exactly the same formula, but different countries have different regulations :wacko: Someone told me the UK guidelines came about because of a case of infant botulism, suspected to be caused by contaminated formula...

there were several cases both here and in neighbouring countries such as Holland and Belgium; there have also been quite a few batches of formula that have needed to be recalled and destroyed due to containing various food poisoning bugs, its inconvenient but whenever I gave powder formula to any of my LOs it was always made with 70 degree water (or as close as poss to that) then rapid cooled and either given immediately or stored in the fridge for less than 12 hours xx

We're using Staydown now so doesn't really count!
I started with cooled boiled water (adding powder as we needed it), but then I just started making with hot water and putting in the fridge to save time when LO was hungry.

I know milk powder isn't sterile, but if you are using the bottle straight away, any bacteria isn't having time to multiply to levels that would be dangerous.

I was gonna ask about Staydown cos it needs to be cold fridge temp water so how does that become sterile?? Thats one of the reasons now she's 5 months I'm doing it with cooled boiled water cos a lot of formulas like hypoallergenic need cold water and comfort needs very very hot water so how does that not kill the nutrients - makes me wonder!

I microwave the cooled water and add the formula only because the formula wont mix properly at room temp.

Nessicle- How do you get the formula to mix properly with room temp water? I always get chunks of formula throughout the bottle?

Or else ya I would do room temp.

I just shake it really well hun for 15 seconds then microwave to heat, I always shake every 20-30 seconds to make sure theres no hotspots, always seems to be dissolved pretty well :flower: x

By cooled boiled water they mean water that has cooled for 30mins, not cold boiled water.

I give Ava cooled boiled water but not 70 degrees lol :haha: x

there were several cases both here and in neighbouring countries such as Holland and Belgium; there have also been quite a few batches of formula that have needed to be recalled and destroyed due to containing various food poisoning bugs, its inconvenient but whenever I gave powder formula to any of my LOs it was always made with 70 degree water (or as close as poss to that) then rapid cooled and either given immediately or stored in the fridge for less than 12 hours xx

If I premake and store in the fridge the formula seems to go quite thick and smells funny she wont drink it and her feed times tend to vary a lot so making fresh each time I wouldnt be able to do as I dont know when her next feed is xx

I use room temp cooled boiled water, heat the bottle in the bottle warmer for 5 mins then mix in the powder. It's then ready for LO to drink.

I give Ava cooled boiled water but not 70 degrees lol :haha: x

If I premake and store in the fridge the formula seems to go quite thick and smells funny she wont drink it and her feed times tend to vary a lot so making fresh each time I wouldnt be able to do as I dont know when her next feed is xx

My daughter is the same ! Her feed times are not set in stone, sometime 3 hrs sometimes 4 and on odd days 2.5 I wouldn't be able to boil the kettle every single time and cool it in time for her to eat without her crying her eyes out! I already get so annoyed when I am sterilizing bottles and boiling fresh water and then shes hungry boiling the water and cooling it seems to take FOREVER! When you have a baby crying lol! My LO is quite demanding she cant even wait for the bottle warmer , so I have to use the microwave the quickest possible way to warm her bottles!! lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->