Hot weather nappies

Mary Jo

Mummy to Adam and Joel
Reaction score
Don't know if it's because of the hot weather but today I took a (wet, not pooey) nappy off Adam that he was in for, admittedly, 4.5 hours, and I nearly choked with the smell of ammonia. :shock: Normally there is no smell at all from a wet nappy, and the only time I detect ammonia is when emptying a bucket that has some from 3 days before.

Could it be because of the heat? Or do my nappies need stripping? It was a Pop-in, which has been in use for about 8 months and has never been stripped, but I've never noticed a stink off it before!

It's entirely possible he weed right after I put him in it (12.50pm) because the one I took off was bone dry, which I thought was weird because he'd been drinking a lot, so manybe his wee was very concentrated?

Just a bit puzzled!

Quiet possibly a bit of both - the heat can cause pee to be more potent as the body will use more of the fluid to sweat etc. but if they've never been stripped a strip wash wouldn't do them any harm.

I'm thinking he did an extremely pungent wee, because he drank loads this morning (6oz bottle + 4oz water from a cup) and he was in the previous nappy about 2.5 hours and it was bone dry, I don't think he even did a little dribble in it, and I was sure it would be quite wet! The stinky nappy was really wet.

Am going to be doing a dishwasher tablet strip next week. Strangely looking forward to it. :D

I think a bit of both tbh aswell. I'm perssonally a pocket nappy fan but really coming round to fitteds in this warmer weather, much more breathable.

Could someone tell me how you do a strip wash? thanks

I think a bit of both tbh aswell. I'm perssonally a pocket nappy fan but really coming round to fitteds in this warmer weather, much more breathable.

yes, I am, too. I just wish Adam didn't just love the novelty of being able to rip his nappy off (he's worked out the aplix) because I only have one popper fastening fitted and the rest are aplix. I'd like for him to be able to go wrap free just in a Little Lamb, nice and airy, but there'd be shit all over the floor in 5 minutes if I did that. :dohh:

Could someone tell me how you do a strip wash? thanks

there's a few ways - the most popular/usual one is to do a wash with the full amount of detergent rather than 1/4 of the recommended amount, then rinse and rinse and rinse and rinse till there are no bubbles left in the rinse water. the one I am planning to do I read about on cloth nappy tree - you use a dishwasher tablet in the machine, then do an extra rinse, and that's all. there's also a method that involves basically scrubbing everything with Fairy liquid (dishwashing soap, the normal kind for handwashing dishes), soaking, scrubbing, then rinsing in the machine, many times as the bubbles take ages to go. this is apparently very very effective but very labour and time intensive.

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->