House cats.

I'd put my cat outside if it were safe and she'd stay in the backyard like a dog would for sure. Being outdoors is good for people, same with animals. But I live in the city so would never. At night, we have raccoons... and I'd be worried she'd get into it with another cat outside (my neighbour's cat and the cat across the street are always fighting :dohh:).. plus I'd be worried about her getting into a backyard with a dog. Then there's of course cars to worry about, people (those who would keep a cat they found, those who would harm an animal).. and like I said fleas and ticks.

I still get her vaccinated, in the event she did get out, I have her registered and microchipped.

Dogs off leashes though, doesn't really happen here, mainly because people are afraid of dogs and would report it to animal control or the humane society.. it's a $250 fine if your registered animal is collected by animal control etc. There's bylaws with fines for having your dog off a leash (aside private property) unless it is a designated leash-free zone.. plus like I said it's the city, cars and that.

I'd put my cat outside if it were safe and she'd stay in the backyard like a dog would for sure. Being outdoors is good for people, same with animals. But I live in the city so would never. At night, we have raccoons... and I'd be worried she'd get into it with another cat outside (my neighbour's cat and the cat across the street are always fighting :dohh:).. plus I'd be worried about her getting into a backyard with a dog. Then there's of course cars to worry about, people (those who would keep a cat they found, those who would harm an animal).. and like I said fleas and ticks.

I still get her vaccinated, in the event she did get out, I have her registered and microchipped.

Dogs off leashes though, doesn't really happen here, mainly because people are afraid of dogs and would report it to animal control or the humane society.. it's a $250 fine if your registered animal is collected by animal control etc. There's bylaws with fines for having your dog off a leash (aside private property) unless it is a designated leash-free zone.. plus like I said it's the city, cars and that.

i dont think dogs are suppose to be loose here either, but the people just dont care. theres a few houses here that do it because they dont care about other people. Ive called animal control a few times and they say they'll come and dont. i keep chasing them out the yard but its a nightmare i have to keep picking up 3 different dogs poop out my own yard. i dont have a fenced yard, here thats expensive and we have an acre so that'd be a lot of fence.

Cats do love the outdoors, that's why we let Pangur roam out garden on a harness and an extention lead. He can get to most places and I check on him to make sure he isn't tangled.
I don't trust people, there's so many people that hate cats (no idea why!) and do nasty things to them. I couldn't bare anything happening to our little fur bum, infact if anything did i'd probably hunt whoever hurt him down.
Pangur's also a pedigree cat, he's very intelligent but holds no common sense, if a car was to come near him i'm not sure what would happen :(. I think cats can be just as happy as house cats. We even have kitty grass that we grow inside, you can get it from Pets at home :D.

I'm adding another pic cus, well... cats are just soooooo cute!!!

https://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2492/179/120/518055361/n518055361_2270068_4240849.jpg

https://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs763.snc4/66307_489779460361_518055361_7022830_2639240_n.jpg

I think that was what I meant Dani, that I don't my cat to go outside and be safe never mind other people. She's my baby, I love her so much I would be devastated if anything happened to her. All animals should naturally be outdoors, so should we! But sometimes life doesn't allow things to be how they should x

Definatley. My Mum has three cats, all of which are indoors and they are probably some of the happiest cats i've ever known. They don't try to escape or ask to go out. The big wide world is a scary place for little paws.

Dani, like one of the things you screw into the ground and has a leash type thing on it? That would be a good idea for Gina I think, so after the winter I may look into it. She is so desperate to be out in the backyard, she's afraid of the front (and front door) due to cars/people/people & their dogs (I took her out in the summer a few times to sit on the porch).

Dani, like one of the things you screw into the ground and has a leash type thing on it? That would be a good idea for Gina I think, so after the winter I may look into it. She is so desperate to be out in the backyard, she's afraid of the front (and front door) due to cars/people/people & their dogs (I took her out in the summer a few times to sit on the porch).

those things are great, it may take your cat a while to get used to it though if shes never been on a leash before as the weight of it feels funny to them.

always use a harness and never put a leash onto the collar!

never leave her unattended incase she gets caught up in something or herself as it can cause strangulation.

and make sure she can reach the back porch/door if she needs to run somewhere to hide should she hear a car/dog.

my two girls LOVE going for walks in their harnesses, and the vets think its great when we take them in and se them walking around the waiting room on their harnesses greeting everyone.

my male cat doesnt really like them and normally walks a bit then lies down and refuses to budge :dohh:

Yup, a stake into the ground then the extension lead handle pegged in and as pepsichic says, always use a harness. Pangur climbed a tree once when we had him attached to a collar. If we hadnt of seen him he would of hung :(. Harnesses are safer!

Sweet! I'm definitely going to do this once the snow melts and it's warmer for my bebe out there, I have a sunporch that is all windows so I can watch her easily, and I've seen a lot of harnesses with bells too so she'd be easy to keep track of.

Hi Lea! None of my cats free roam. My stud cat lives outside but in a secure stud house and run and my females are all indoor cats but have access to a secure outdoor run.
When my kittens go to their new homes (I breed a pedigree breed) the new owners are contractually required to keep them indoors only unless they have a catproofed garden or a cat run the cat can go outside in due to the risks if the kittens were free roaming. I have only twice made an exception to this due to kittens going to live in remote locations so once those kittens were neutered they were allowed out in the daytime.

Dani: Pangur is gorgeous :cloud9:

Well my cats go outside, so I'm just being nosey really but just thought I would say that I don't think anyone around here would hurt our cats. We are a very cat friendly neighbourhood. Just out of the 4 houses around us (including ours) there are 15 cats! We have 4. One of our neighbours has 6 kids and 8 cats!!

Hi Lea! None of my cats free roam. My stud cat lives outside but in a secure stud house and run and my females are all indoor cats but have access to a secure outdoor run.
When my kittens go to their new homes (I breed a pedigree breed) the new owners are contractually required to keep them indoors only unless they have a catproofed garden or a cat run the cat can go outside in due to the risks if the kittens were free roaming. I have only twice made an exception to this due to kittens going to live in remote locations so once those kittens were neutered they were allowed out in the daytime.

Dani: Pangur is gorgeous :cloud9:

Hiya hun! I absolutely ADORE your cats. I have asked my OH a time or two if I can have one :blush:

Well my cats go outside, so I'm just being nosey really but just thought I would say that I don't think anyone around here would hurt our cats. We are a very cat friendly neighbourhood. Just out of the 4 houses around us (including ours) there are 15 cats! We have 4. One of our neighbours has 6 kids and 8 cats!!

Hehe sounds great! People in the UK are NOT really cat friendly anymore. The only way to keep a cat safe is to keep it indoors unfortunately :(

We have three indoor cats!

EDIT: I've just realised the last picture was just after Daisy got 'done' and you can see her bald patch ... poor baby! :(

Attachments

• PICT3816.jpg
    PICT3816.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 20073_1275828068026_1599715666_31064840_2779565_n.jpg
    20073_1275828068026_1599715666_31064840_2779565_n.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 3
  • PICT3467.jpg
    PICT3467.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 4
  • PICT3455.jpg
    PICT3455.jpg