House/estate agents driving me insane

kmbabycrazy

Reaction score
Some might remember a few weeks ago me posting that British Gas were putting out bill up from £65 a month to £179 a month because of the meter readings which had jumped to 5x what it was within just a year. Even the people at British Gas that we spoke to said it seemed wrong. So we rang the estate agent to ask if they could send somebody out to check the meter. They told us that the flat underneath us (we live in a first floor maisonette) was complaining of a leak and would we go down and see where it was as we knew the layout and would be able to see if it was coming from somewhere like our kitchen or bathroom. I tried but every time I knock he doesn't answer/isn't in. I rang to say this and asked if they could send someone out and they said they would see if it wasn't something to do with the leak first. But thinking about it the leak would've had to have been going on since we moved in as the meter reading they took in December was 3x what it was in April so had jumped massively already. They still haven't sent someone out to check the meter or, as far as I'm aware, the leak. Luckily British Gas have been really understanding as there is no way we can afford that money. They themselves believe that it's wrong and have cancelled our direct debit until it's sorted, which was more than they needed to in my opinion as we were happy paying some we just couldn't pay that much.

But now we've noticed a damp patch in the hall and the carpet on the stairs has slipped off the gripper and won't stay on. The front door is a bit broken and I've just had enough and wish we could afford to move, but with the wedding next year we just can't as the rent here is really good for the size of it. I'm worried about the damp thing though because my friend rents a property through the same estate agent and they are having to move her because of the amount of damp she has and it was just painted over. The guy who tested for the damp says their properties are usually that way, if it has damp it just gets painted over before the next person moves in.

Just wanted to rant really, just gotta keep my fingers crossed that I win the euromillions tomorrow lol.

If there's a leak the agent needs to sort it out not you you are not qualified to look and fix

Do you have an inventory that had a read on it when you moved in ?

We have the meter reading from when we first moved in and so do British Gas. They only wanted us to look where it was to see if it was coming from where our kitchen or bathroom is, but still they should've sent someone to sort it as this poor lad underneath us will have had a leak in his house for at least 3 weeks now.

Is it a water leak ? Sorry just confused as bg don't do water supply do they ?

No they don't but if it's a hot water leak the boiler will be being used constantly to heat up the water.

They said that british gas are the people that are supposed to check and replace the gas meter not them but they are sending the landlord to come look at the damp patch so OH is ringing british gas when he gets home as it's in his name x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnneMariena
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->