• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Housing benefit and help please

Jade_2012

Reaction score
Ok so im 20 living with my parents and i work full time 9-5 mon-fri earning 13k

My gf who is 21 lives with her parents and our baby (5 months old) and she gets income support.

Me and my girlfriend really want to move in together and the only option is if we get housing benefit to help.

But i still dont really understand it all, After trains fares etc i have left just over 900 a month. Ive been told if we get housing benefit my girlfriend cant be on income support, is this true? And will we be able to get child tax & working tax as a family?

Thanks very much, I just dont want us to move into somewhere if the benefits side wont be enough to help us as we wont be able to afford it!

I'd use an online benefit calculator if I were you.. There's two many conditions there :) Lol. You can receive housing benefit and income support, but.. Her benefits would depend on your income too x

You'll probably find some benefits will decrease but you'll be entitled to something else instead- working tax credits.

Thanks for help, So my girlfriend is currently on income support so can she stay on this? And then we can get child tax and working as a family and then i have my working income.

I have no idea if your gf will still get income support but i suspect not as you have a job. I have a friend in similar situation who has just moved in with partner and baby. friend earns the same as you and the partner earns nothing, has no maternity pay (SMP or MA) and together they get

monthly salary (13000 per year not sure what monthly amount is after tax etc)
child benefit approx £20 per week
child tax approx £60 per week
working tax £40 per week
Housung benefit (£25) this would be more/ less if you lived in an area which was more or less expensive - as a guide their rent is 88 per week

you would have to make a joint claim on workig tax/ child tax as the amount you can claim is calculated using your earnings.

seems it should be perfectly doable for you to move in together providing you have the deposit for a house together.

Should i be worrying about how much benefits we will get? Everything says we can get housing,working and ctc but just not sure how much. I have money saved up so we can look for flats straight away.

Just no way will my 900 a month working pay cover all the bills.. Flats round here are 825 - 1000 a month rent!

I am a housing benefit assessor so should be able to help you.

You will get hb and Ctb. Your gf won't keep receiving IS as your working

Check www.entitledto.co.uk and have a look at the figures there. It will give you a wtc and Ctb estimate as well. The amount of hb depends on the lha rate in your area, you would qualify for the 2 bed rate. https://www.voa.gov.uk/corporate/RentOfficers/LHARates/lhaApr2012.html look here to find your rate.

Thanks for replying Panda
I contacted turn to us and the said we can get £121 housing benefit a week and £99 a week child tax and working, and then obviously we get 20 pound a week child benefit and my working salary which is just over 900 a month.

We are looking for flats in Loughton, Essex and roughly a 2 bed flat to rent is 800 - 950pcm thats without bills. With these figures i have said do you reckon we could live ok?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->