Housing benefit / council tax reduction

BellaBoo0512

Reaction score
When I made the decision not to return to work after my maternity leave ends I went on 3 different benefit calculators online, they all told me different figures and 2/3 said we were only entitled to claim child tax credits.

A friend told me to claim for everything anyway, so I did.

I received a letter yesterday saying that we qualify for council tax reduction so it has gone from £89 per month to £42 per month and we qualify for full housing benefit but because we have a spare bedroom we have to pay £11.42 a week towards our rent. I was in total disbelief when this letter came and was convinced a mistake had been made.

When we made our claim we had to take in 3 months worth of OH's wage slips and proof of our child tax credit. I've been into the benefits centre this morning and they confirmed we definitely do qualify.

I just wanted to let you know not to rely on the benefits calculator. If my friend hadn't of told me to claim then I would of gone off the benefits calculator and paid full council tax and rent and struggled to pay for everything else.

It's always worth claiming, even if you don't think you are entitled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->