How are you budgeting for Xmas?

c1403

Reaction score
In the title really. How are you budgeting/save for Christmas.

Ideally I wanted to save a little each week but it never happened. Plus I've also got to spend £300 on my car and had to get DD1 all new uniform. Birthdays are out the way thankfully!

I am budgeting £150 each on the girls (not sure on adults yet).

I was thinking of either buying them one thing each every Friday (payday) or saving £20-30a week between now and early December.

Think I'll prefer to buy them something each week so I have a little stash building up as saving I'll just get fed up waiting and may miss some bargains!

I've seen junior monoloply for DD1 for £10.99. On the look out for something for DD2 for this week's buys!

I don't have a limit/figure in mind but I like to try spend up to £50 a week on getting the kids' presents. This week it will get me one thing but the other week it got me eight things so it spreads it out nicely. :) Family I'll likely do in one go with November's monthly payday. :)

I've been saving for park vouchers this year so will have £400 once those are sent. I've also been buying some of the kids toys from ebay. They're all under 5 so don't understand the difference between new and second hand yet. It's saved me a good amount so far.

We will try and get a few presents at a time starting from next month, rather than getting them all at once.

I've been saving for park vouchers this year so will have £400 once those are sent. I've also been buying some of the kids toys from ebay. They're all under 5 so don't understand the difference between new and second hand yet. It's saved me a good amount so far.

i do this too, you can get some great stuff second hand can’t you! :)

i’ve been saving with park this year, it’s almost paid off and i’ll have £450 when i’m done. this was my first time using park actually but i dunno how keen i am because i like to start earlier and spend a bit each month when i’ve got spare rather than have a big spree closer to the time! it’s actual torture waiting until november for my park vouchers :wacko:

i save up a lot of points and cashback as well. until today i had £65 in nectar points, i change my cashback into zeek vouchers then buy discounted vouchers from there so have some of them ready.

I used to do park vouchers and it really helped me out think I might do them again next year, I'm going to struggle his year as I'm about to move house it's DD first birthday end of November and I have 4 kids to buy for OH and bits of family, I have already bought a few bits and going to just keep getting stuff as I see it try my hardest to get bargains and not go too over the top cus we don't have the room and they have everything ever already

No idea as of yet. I’m working this year so have a little bit extra money. Not much however we go on holiday at the end of next month so I can’t even think about Xmas until we get home.
Usually would have started by now!
Hoping to keep it at either £150 each (100 for bits and bobs and 50 for bigger item) or £100 each and then £100 on a shared gift.
Will see how that works out.

I’ve had a savings jar on the side since last Christmas where I’ve put in any odd £1 coins or notes that suddenly seem spare (for example my mum borrowed £80 paid it back when we were not struggling so I put it straight into the savings jar) I’m hoping there’s a fair amount in there now but will probably be disappointed

I have just started with the buying a gift each Friday. Starting with generic things like books and board games as I haven't actually asked them for a proper Christmas list each yet. Xx

I have been putting £20 a week into my mums (spare) bank account since January. I haven't the last 3 weeks as was concentrating on dd2s birthday/party etc and any time I have gone shopping and wanted to buy stuff, I ask my mum to put so much into my account.
I like this way as I can't touch it without asking but I can get it whenever I need it, and straight to my bank account. I also am not tied into anything so if I am struggling one week, I don't have to put it in.
I don't have a set budget for the girls, but usually £250/300 each.

I save £5 per week in 2 of them saving tins. One with my mum and one with mil. We each put £5 PW in ( so really I do £10 PW) around Oct / Nov we open them and split the money. I like it because I can't just dip in because when we open it we will be short. Plus you would have to use a can opener to get into it.
I also have a jar I. The kitchen for coppers and a tin in the bedroom where any money that falls out of jeans pockets go.
Turns out both OH and I have been " keeping the change" for a while now. If one of us goes to the shop and by Friday the other hasn't asked for the change, we put it aside. I gave him £30 the other day he spent about £12. I forgot about the money because we didn't go anywhere where I would need to buy anything and he put it in a secret wallet pocket.
Same goes with if my mum gives me any money for any shopping I have done for her, I pop it in a card slot in my purse and usually forget about it. A few months ago I found £80 in my purse, because I forget I have it.
I should add all the money we keep is shared money. Just sometimes one of goes to the shop. We budget £20pw for buying any top ups of fruit or milk or whatever but we rarely use all of it. And we do tell each other about the money.

I'm getting everything off eBay and pound shop this year. Trying to do it gradually!

I have just started with the buying a gift each Friday. Starting with generic things like books and board games as I haven't actually asked them for a proper Christmas list each yet. Xx

I am going to do this from next week ! Shops were I live have started to stock up in Christmas toys / gifts now too

Interesting reading the ways people are saving for ideas on spreading the costs. Think I'll start getting bits little by little from October. About 150ish for each child, something or a few bits for oh, then about 100-150 for family and friends combined x

I am going to do this from next week ! Shops were I live have started to stock up in Christmas toys / gifts now too

Sorry just realised this got posted twice ! Serves me right for clicking the back page on my phone !

I have been buying as and when I see a good deal. This month I got alot of good deals and spent quite alot but only because I got paid more so bought toys instead of wasting it on more food shopping etc.
My mum's I got in an Avon order so haven't even noticed the money go for that.
My friend started making candles so wanted to get one so that worked out well for my sisters present.
I always finds it too difficult until I wait until the time.

Btw Asda has a good toy see on and i got a few bits and then bought cheaper food so I never really noticed that

I did want to put at least £250 a month aside from September, but DD1 wanted a big birthday party as she hasn't had one with school friends and her/OH choice of presents were expensive so that's taken a chunk, plus debt issues. Girls will be getting around £250ish each spent on them and £100 between everybody else. Me and OH have agreed not to buy for each other until after Christmas so girls get a better one this year.

Honestly not saved specially for Christmas. We knew we would have spare cash kicking around as DS2 has just started school so no more full time nursery bills.

I put a little away each week/month through the year. It is very hard not to dip in to it though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->