How are you preparing your body if you are NTNP

Heatherbean

Reaction score
I was just wondering what everyone that is NTNP is doing to prepare your body "just in case". I was taking 800mg of folic acid for a month but just recently switched to taking prenatals...thinking I have enough folic acid "banked". I do have a couple of drinks a week but nothing major, I would stop as soon as I found out obviously, but I don't think a couple will hurt. I eat a pretty balanced diet, I work for a humane society so I am constantly on the go and am at a healthy weight, and am on no medications. I had blood drawn at the gyno a couple of weeks ago since I hadn't had a period in 6 months(got some meds and finally had one the other day) and everything looked good except my testosterone level. They are hoping I spontaneously menstruate from now on and if I star skipping periods, I can have a hard time getting pregnant. :nope:
Just wondering if there is anything that I could be doing to make sure I'm good to go.

Hi there & Welcome to NTNP!

I'm taking prenatals, eating better, and exercising more...

I don't drink any alcohol and have never smoked so I don't have to worry about that. I also consume very little caffeine (a sip of soda every few weeks) so also not an issue.

Best wishes

I'm taking a ton of vitamins and folic acid each day, cut out drinking fizzy drinks and just have tea at work and sparkling water at home, preparing the house (painting etc) so it's more prepared as I know not much can be done once a baby arrives!

I'm just taking folic acid. But I do eat healthily anyway and I rarely drink much.

I have done the following:

Quit smoking,
Stopped having alcohol,
and quit caffeine.
Trying to eat a better diet too.

Thats it so far...:thumbup:

I'm not doing anything special to prepare for a possible baby. I never really have as I don't want to cut back on (or out) anything that I enjoy until I need to. I don't smoke (anymore, yay me) and I rarely drink simply because I don't have the time. I enjoy soda way too much and I don't cut it out completely when I am PG so I just wait until I get the BFP to cut back on it.

Good luck to everyone and remember to have fun!

Folic acid, that's it. I don't do anything 'detrimental' anyway.

Hi! I am taking prenatal vitamins and an extra 400 of folic acid everyday... suggested by my doctor. I eat a healthy diet, exercise regularly and maintain a healthy weight. I am a bit of a hard core exerciser so I have cut back on the number of days a week I work out and the intensity of training. I have but back caffeine to one small cup of coffee per day. I have never smoked and am not a big drinker, so that's not an issue. That's about it.

Quitting smoking, eating better (I use a food tracker on my phone that keeps count of calories and all other nutrients, as well as how much water I have, it's the best invention ever!) and exercising more. I really have never been a big exerciser as I find it so boring, but lately I've been jumping on my trampoline - gets a good sweat going but it's still fun!

It is so great, it makes me actually pay attention to what and how much i eat.. I tend to be a boredom eater but that is helping for sure!

Started taking prenatals, and kicking up my exercise regimen. DH and I started the Insanity workout today. I worked out occasionally, 2-3 times max per week, but really want to get in better shape before hand. Ironically, the prenatals have helped y energy level alot, which makes me think that I was iron deficient and not getting enough on my regular vitamin. Since we're taking the if it happens, it happens approach, and I hope to continue moderate exercise throughout, I don't see any reason to stop things (especially working out) in preparation. Don't smoke, but I am thinking of switching to decaf coffee.

Just to say about folic acid, the guidelines are really that all women of childbearing age who have ANY chance of getting pregnant should take a folic acid supplement. Because it is soo effective in preventing spinal cord defects. I do realize that a lot of people in this section are taking a relaxed approach and don't want to change lifestyle or take supplements and that's perfectly fine, but folic acid is different, PLEASE everyone take a folic acid supplement, it could be the difference between having a severely disabled child and a healthy baby if you do get pregnant. Of course lots of people get pregnant unexpectedly and weren't taking folic acid and their babies are fine, but why take the risk? OK, off soap box now!

Good post Polaris - although a lot of multivitamins have folic acid in too (I just checked my Centrum and it has 200mg - half the recommended daily amount if you're pregnant). It's only 54p for 90 folic acid tablets in Sainsburys and they are itty bitty things so very easy to get into the habit of taking them!

400mg/day when pregnant? really?? My GP gave me prenatal vitamins that have 1000mg and said they're "so much better" than the over the counter ones that have "only 800mg"....the downside is they cost $60/month!!

Maybe the recommendations are different in the states...the UK Department of Health recommends 400mg a day for those TTC or pregnant :)

I take folic acid 400mg and eat cereal every morning that includes folic acid. I already eat health and exercise anyway. X

Taking 400mg a day as recommended by my Dr other than that I already eat healthily and don't smoke

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->