How bad is dying your hair?

Rhianna

Reaction score
My hair is dyed blonde but i already have dark brown roots. At this rate im going to look like a racoon. So is it actually that bad to dye my hair once? Or is there a safer type or something?

I think bleach is the worst for it :/ I know someone who went blonde from black during their pregnancy, she had it done at a salon and they didn't do it directly to her roots, it was a little further down or something? So I'm not sure :/ speak to your stylist to be sure :)

I think it's better to wait till you're in your second trimester before dying your hair

Yeah i guessed that bleach would be the worst. If i can dye it i would just do it dark brown so my roots match.

If you can, go get it done at a salon and they can do it from the start of the blonde bits so it's a bit better, but waiting into 2nd tri to do that is probably a lot better

I'd wait till second tri too. :) If you get it done at the hairdressers they can dye it pretty close to the roots. You just have to avoid the scalp. I didn't dye mine till 34 weeks but only because I wanted to grow out the black dye. I then got a ton of highlights.
:flow:

what about henna hair dye? the natural stuff :) from shops like lush :) i'm sure thats fine as theres no harsh chemicals in them :) but research first i'm not 100% sure

I got full head bleach highlights (i had red/brown hair and blonde roots) and it's fine, because they do it so that it doesn't touch your scalp, and it's really only going to do harm if your skin absorbs it (my hairdresser but cotton wool at the top of the foils just to be 100% sure it wouldn't touch my scalp), although I would wait until 2nd tri, if you'd rather just dye it I'd get it done professionally, I heard doing it at home when pregnant may turn out in funny colours :)

i dyed mine in 1st tri and everything is fine so far

If I were you I'd do it at home so that you can do it outside in fresh air so that your not taking in so much if the chemicals. I know several girls who have died their hair during pregnancy and everything worked out just fine.

i died my hair in first tri before i found out, and i told the doctor and she said it should be fine but if i wanted to do it again to make sure that you go to a salon because they can do it like the other girls said, not touching your scalp, if you really cant afford the salon cause i know their crazy prices ( especially here in canada) to not bleach your hair or if you can get someone to do it for you with a brush and just not touch your scalp with the dye. If it does dont worry to much just be careful and get fresh air and dont do it often, if you can live with waiting till later in 2nd tri its best, 3rd and 1st tri arent good to dye your hair in if you do it at home. But rarely is it a huge concern.

i dyed my hair at 20 weeks and it came out fine! =)
i'd go with what the other girls are saying though, wait till you're in second tri just to be safe xx

It's not:winkwink: I have died and bleached my hair a bunch of times throughout this pregnancy. I have family in the hair business that will say 10000 that dying your hair while pregnant has nothing to do with the baby at all. If you are in a small closed room with fumes and powerful chemicals making it hard to breathe or anything like that....then yeah thats not the smartest thing haha but other than that..dye has no possible way to go into your scalp and into your system to effect your baby....neither does bleach. So dont listen to all that garbage lmao:flower:

I was the same!! My roots looked horrible. I dyed my hair around 18 weeks to avoid racoon hair! Just make sure you open a window in the room you dye it in or have the fan going!!!

I am a little over ten weeks and just got a ton of highlights put in. My ob told me its fine just the color may not turn out exactly how you want.. which it did come out a lot lighter than I wanted:dohh: but im pretty sure that was my hairdressers fault lol

The NHS website actually says its fine to dye your hair but my midwife told me I could as long as I stayed away from my roots. I've dyed mine more than once and my bubbas all fine :)

Hi Hun! Just make sure u are in a really really well ventilated area. Breathing in the chemicals can be harmful! A friend of mine who used box dye's would get her friend to do it out side. (if the weather was nice) :flow:

They say if you do, it should be in second tri, in a ventilated room, not put directly on the scalp and contains no ammonia x

I waited until I was way into my second trimester before I dyed my hair. I had bleach highlights put through so the dye didn't touch my head until it was being washed out. if you want to due it then speak to your midwife if you are worried and make sure the room is well ventilated too :) im having my hair redyed for my mums wedding next Friday aswell.

It's generally advised to wait until 2nd trimester. :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->