How big are they?

mommyof3co

Mommy of 4 amazing boys!
Reaction score
Ok so this is from my blog just to give you a bit of a background

So Mark decided to measure Hayden, he missed his 15mo appt since Mark lost his job we don't have insurance right now. To give you an idea this is what he's been before

7mo 19lbs 8oz

9mo 19lbs 4oz

12mo 20lbs 4oz and 29 1/2in (I can't remember his heights from before)

So now he's 15 1/2mo and he's 30in..just barely and fully clothed he was barely 20lbs on our scale, I'm sure naked like they weigh him at the dr he would have been 19lbs something ounces. So in 8mo he has gained less than a pound and in 3mo has grown barely 1/2 in. I swear it's like he has stopped growing. It really worries both me and Mark. He can't have so many things, like he can't have dairy so a normal baby his age has whole milk and all the fat from that...well he can't have it. He also can't have soy which has a decent amount of fat. He can only have rice milk...well that has almost no fat at all. So we tried more fattening foods, like I add olive oil to his scrambled eggs to add some healthy fat. We tried avocados for snacks, well he pukes. We had him tested for all of these allergies and he has none yet the child can't take so many things. This list as of now is no dairy at all, no soy, small amounts of banana are ok but that's it, no avocado, can't handle tomato...that's just that we've figured out so far. So it's not true allergies but something is def going on because he reacts to them, we know it's those things. I can't wait until we get insurance again so we can get him checked out. I don't get why he isn't growing, he eats alot now. He is just so small

So he is 15 1/2 mo...how old are the babies here around his age? I guess from 12-18mo?

I don't have any answers. but just wanted to say that I think babies slow down in growth after 12 months. Hope you can go get him double checked at the doctors soon. :hug:

Yeah I know especially breastfed babies slow down alot, but it seems a bit extreme to me, only 1lb in 8mo you know? Like in Pumpkin Patch clothes he still wears 6-12mo...and he's 15 lol. It just seems so crazy. I remember they were worried about my 2nd son's weight a little bit, and even he was quite a bit bigger, so just freaks me out lol

as far as insurance, I know you said you were in the US.. have you thought about getting him TennCare? If your husband lost his job you might very well qualify for it. Thats what Colton gets because I'm a college student, so I dont have to pay anything for him to go to the doctor or any prescriptions or anything. It's very good, and might be worth looking into; even if it's just a temp thing until you get private insurance back.

It does seem alittle strange only gaining 1lb. But I imagine if he is really active that he will be burning quite a bit.

He's active, but I wouldn't think THAT active. He really didn't even eat babyfood or anything until 9mo and it took until 13-14mo to get him eating 3 meals a day. He does now eat alot, well I guess normal for his age, seems like alot for him after everything.

I'm guessing Tenncare is like medicaid but for your state? We had thought about it, BUT then we have to find a new pedi and deal with shots issues and stuff like that so we were hoping he would get a job fast. He is supposed to hear about one tomorrow, if that doesnt come through I will probably look into it more though

Yeah I know especially breastfed babies slow down alot, but it seems a bit extreme to me, only 1lb in 8mo you know? Like in Pumpkin Patch clothes he still wears 6-12mo...and he's 15 lol. It just seems so crazy. I remember they were worried about my 2nd son's weight a little bit, and even he was quite a bit bigger, so just freaks me out lol

oh wait, just remembered lol Scale difference! I had a problem with this before, using two diffent scales in comparing weight! Your scale could be off some! Is that a possibility? Also, your dh could be measuring wrong, I know it sounds stupid, but once I measured Alexa the day of a doctor's appontment and I was 2 inches off :blush:

We remeasured 3 times just to be sure lol. But the scale is probably a little off from theirs but we have consistantly weighed him on it and it's always been very close to the one at our doctors. This doesn't tell us ounces so we go by where it sits between the 2 lines and last time, about a month ago when he measured about 20 1/2lbs at the allergist appt he had, fully clothed shoes and all Iweighed him again at home and it was about 20 1/2 on ours too, this time fully clothed it was barely on the 20lb mark

He's active, but I wouldn't think THAT active. He really didn't even eat babyfood or anything until 9mo and it took until 13-14mo to get him eating 3 meals a day. He does now eat alot, well I guess normal for his age, seems like alot for him after everything.

I'm guessing Tenncare is like medicaid but for your state? We had thought about it, BUT then we have to find a new pedi and deal with shots issues and stuff like that so we were hoping he would get a job fast. He is supposed to hear about one tomorrow, if that doesnt come through I will probably look into it more though

Yeah, but I think it's alittle different for children. I think Tenncare is just for children (under 19, or 21 yrs old.. cannot remember) though.
But there are only certain doctors who will accept tenncare, your right. Although, with shots I think it's up to the doctor. Like Colton's doctor doesn't do 12mo shots all at once, I have to take him back at 15mo because his pediatrician doesn't do it all at once.
But anyways, good luck with his job..

Yeah we do no shots, we are lucky our pedi knows we have done our research and never questions us on it and is very supportive. But I'm pretty sure she doesn't accept medicaid, so we'd have to try and find another. I've heard so many horror stories from other parents who don't vaccinate and how their doctors treated them horribly and stuff, and I just love our pedi, she's great. I really hope he gets this job, we aready know the insurance he would have she takes so it would be perfect

Yeah we do no shots, we are lucky our pedi knows we have done our research and never questions us on it and is very supportive. But I'm pretty sure she doesn't accept medicaid, so we'd have to try and find another. I've heard so many horror stories from other parents who don't vaccinate and how their doctors treated them horribly and stuff, and I just love our pedi, she's great. I really hope he gets this job, we aready know the insurance he would have she takes so it would be perfect

To each their own. Glad she is supportive and hope things work out for you.

I was reading a book I have last night and it said something about failure to thrive so I looked it up and it looks like that's what he would be classified as. I looked at the actual growth charts the dr has and he is no longer on it for weight and has slowed on height too. I'm going to give our dr a call tomorrow to see what she thinks, see if she can set up some sort of pay arrangement so she can still see him.

Anyone else on here have kids around his age?

Kids grow at their own pace. My son is 18 months old and only weighs 21 lbs and is 31 inches. He was in the 10th percentile for his first year, now he is in the 20th percentile. He is very healthy and has no problems and thats all the Peditrician cares about. Kids will have growth spurts.

I think my main concern isn't that he's small, I know some kids are just small, but my concern is that he has stopped growing. He has always been right at he 50th% and slowly dropped (which is normal to drop some as they slim out) but now he's gained less than a pound in almost 8mo, he has dropped completely off the charts for weight and seems to be stopping growing in height too. Like if he was always on the small side I wouldn't be concerned, just that he seemsto have stopped growing

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrsA3000
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->