How can I get another scan, surely I can have another?

tess8517

Reaction score
My dr sent me for a dating scan as I had prev mc, so I had it yesterday and I am 9+5 today :) saw heart beating away. The sonographer wasn't very nice or helpful and said well if u wanted the downs test you are too early for this and you won't get another chance till 20 week to get a scan 18 th aug!!! Surely thus isn't right? I want a scan at 12 weeks as normal- am I entitled? Thanks x

It's your doctor that makes that choice, not the sonographer....so bring it up to doc and stress that it's important to you to have it. They shouldnt say no :)

If you want the nuchal scan, you should get another scan in the next few weeks x

Hmm being a bit dumb what is the nuchal scan? When I saw myidwife too she said I won't get a scan now until 20 weeks, do u think my dr can do more? X

Tess have you had a blood test yet? I would go back to the doctor and explain what's happened. This does not seem right. I'm going for my 12 week Nuchal scan tom which tests for Downs. I need to have another blood test at the same time and will have to wait for the results. I was told that this needs to be done before 14 weeks.

Hope you get some help. x

I know the dating scan is normally done at about 12 weeks, but the downs screening has to be done before 13+6, i know there is the anamoly scan at 20 weeks, but i thought everyone in the uk was offered the combined screening at around 12 weeks?? Normally u get a letter in the post with ur scan date, telling u about the scan and that u can choose if u want the combined screening or not??

Id just phone the mw,say uv not had an apt for ur nt screening yet, dont mention anything else,see what they say??

I had an early dating scan at 8w and luckily Im one of the few groups that get free NT scans in my area. If I hadnt been in that group my next scan would be 20w. Sucks but some areas dont do NT scans as routine.

If yours does tho, you should get a NT scan around 12 w or so anyway. Or you could have a private Oscar scan somewhere.

Id ring your mw cos i had a scan at 9+3 and they still booked me in for my 12wk scan whilst i was there.

I had a 12 week scan for dating but they didnt mention anything about downs screening at the scan bit i know u have ur bloods done between 16 and 18 weeks which I think my midwife called the triple test and screens for downs, correct me if I'm wrong. But i deffo think if u had and early scan for certain reasons u should deffo have a 12 week one..

I'm in south Wales so not sure if it's different xxx

Im sorry but thats just not right, if you have a dating scan at 8w then thats your dating scan. You wont get another one at 12w. You might get a NT scan, lots of areas do them, some dont tho.

ive heard a few ppl say that if they had a scan early they dnt get the 12 week scan. u could always have a private scan

I think im going to book appointment with my dr I haven't had a blood test. They just Said we will see u again on 18th aug when I'll be 20 weeks seems forever away and a long time to not have a look inside to see what's going on! X

I think im going to book appointment with my dr I haven't had a blood test. They just Said we will see u again on 18th aug when I'll be 20 weeks seems forever away and a long time to not have a look inside to see what's going on! X

I know, there is so much waiting!! But thats all we get in the uk unfortunately. Know u had ur one a bit early, when u get ur 20 week apt letter, if its not scheduled til ur 20 weeks, ring them, say u cant make then as ur away, and see if they will schedule it for nearer to 18 weeks (as thats when most places will start to offer the anamoly (sp?!!) scan. I did it cos we are actually away, and they bought mine forward by 12 days- so next tues!!! So excited!! But my doppler has kept me sane inbetween, love listening to it moving around, especially before i started feeling it. xx
Ps- i believe the blood test is done in conjunction with the nt scan, they use the 2, plus ur age, to work out ur overall risk factor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->