How did you know your baby was latching properly?

Kiwiberry

Mommy to 3 beautiful girls & 2 adorable boys!
Reaction score
Hello ladies! I am wondering what signs you had that your baby was latching properly. I want to know as much detail as possible. We tried last night just a "test" to see how she would do. She still had her feeding tube in (through the nose). She did suckle right away when she saw the nipple, but it was only for 30 seconds to a minute. I then took her off of it to kangaroo because I am still unsure of her body signs, and she was starting to be fed through the tube as well.

She takes to a paci really really well btw. She is currently 33 weeks and 4 days. The nurse said she is ready to feed and she even told the other nurse that as well. I just am not sure how credible they are when it comes to things like that since they are not LC and it was the night time shift of nurses.

Here is a picture, its in a spoiler for anyone that might not want to see it. Let me know what you ladies think so I am not driving myself crazy wondering about it.

https://i.imgur.com/Uc5AYUJ.jpg

It's a big learning curve for you and baby. Don't let the nurses make you feel pressured into thinking your baby should
Be doing it right now. She's not even "term" yet.

Experiences like that are brilliant for perfecting the latch so well done.

Baby will have a big mouthful of boob. You'll see them swallowing if you look at their neck.

It shouldn't hurt if the latch is good. M Y baby sometimes latched the nipple which hurt so I knew he wasn't on right.

Baby will be content if latched well and not fussing

Can you ask for a lc to pay you a visit and watch you feed ? X

Oh and your books should feel softer once they come off which shows they took some milk.

Thanks for all the advice! :hugs:

The nurses were not making me feel pressured at all, they just wanted to see what she would do. I don't think they expect her to be nursing completely. I do know that it will take some time and lots of practice for us.

There is a LC that we can call. I think when I go back in tomorrow if they let me try again that I will call one down to her pod.

I am not sure if she was doing it long enough to actually get some milk. Right after I took her off (because I don't know her signals and she was about to be fed through the feeding tube) it started leaking all over the place.... So I had to actually get out the pump.

Like I said, we were not expecting her to "eat" just yet. We just wanted to see what she would do.

This is all so new to me and I have so man questions flying in my head. The problem is I can't seem to put my questions into words without someone physically being next to me.

Oh I forgot to add, it did not hurt at all actually. It was really gentle especially compared to the pump.

My midwife said that their chin should be right up against the boob as the movement of suckling gets the chin to essentially massage the milk ducts as it moves.

I had to hold her head with one hand with the nipple in line with her nose and chin resting on the boob, wait till her mouth was open, then move her head onto the nipple while trying to keep her chin in the same place. That's how I got the hang of it.

Thank you Alyssa! I am going to try that advice this morning when i go to visit her.

I disagree with it not hurting if it's right. It was extremely painful for 3 weeks for me, then went away.

Now it just feels "right" but in the beginning I would look at his mouth and make sure it was wide open, both lips flanged out, and more of the bottom/side of the areola in his mouth than the top part. You should feel a gentle tugging.

Thank you for all the advice ladies!

I actually had an LC come and visit while I wanted to practice with Riya. I am glad I did. After I pumped (the nurse actually suggested it this time) we attempted to bf again. The LC told me all about lick and learn and how I need to squeeze some milk out and let her taste it while also trying to get her to suckle so we can teach her where the milk comes from. She did such a great job. Not only did she like the milk but a number of times she came back for more. It was during the morning and she is more active at night, so she got really tired really quickly and we were only able to get in about 15 minutes of trying. The LC said that she was doing great and when she did suckle she was doing it right! She mentioned that I will have to keep doing this until Riya learns to feed. I am going to make sure the nurses know not to bottle feed her until she learns 100% how to feed on the breast first. I know it will delay her coming home a little since I can not always be there for every feed but I really really don't want her to get confused or prefer the bottle over the breast.

Anyway, thanks again ladies for all of the advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->