How did your labour start with baby 2/3/4 etc?

littlenic

Reaction score
Probably a bit of a random post but I was wondering if there's any difference in how/when your body starts labour with subsequent children. With number 1, you only have yourself to think of but with subsequent children your attention is divided and you can't focus as much on preparing yourself mentally for the birth (at least i dont feel that ive been able to).

With my son I went into labour at 40+6 straight after finishing dinner at 7pm. Before that I'd been working on the house up until a few days earlier and had been using natal hypnotherapy CDs every day as prep, as well as going to aquanatal and Pilates classes every week.
This time is nothing like it - I've listened to my CDs twice, done no exercise, and spent most of my time maintaining my toddlers routine....I just wonder where labour is going to fit into my hectic lifestyle!!

Did your labours start in a similar way or has each labour been completely different?

With my first my waters broke at home, and almost instantly I started getting painful contractions so went straight to hospital, and had her 3 hours later.
With my second and third my waters didn't break, I had a constant dull ache in my lower back and was unsure both times if I was actually in labour or not, I didn't have any kind of regular contraction or anything ! I actually drove myself into the hospital both times and sure enough I was in labour. I have very quick labours so I always go in if I'm in doubt at all.

With my first my waters broke at home, and almost instantly I started getting painful contractions so went straight to hospital, and had her 3 hours later.
With my second and third my waters didn't break, I had a constant dull ache in my lower back and was unsure both times if I was actually in labour or not, I didn't have any kind of regular contraction or anything ! I actually drove myself into the hospital both times and sure enough I was in labour. I have very quick labours so I always go in if I'm in doubt at all.

Can I book me one of your later labours please? They sound great!

My waters went straight away last time and I started getting unmistakable contractions every 2/3 minutes that's lasted for a minute from the start. Unfortunately they didn't help me progress and 7 hours down the line I asked for an epidural as I was still only 3cm and in a lot of pain. I started getting weird back pains the other night and strong braxton hicks - very different to last time but I wondered if they could have been the start of labour - obviously not, just a warm up I think.

With baby number 1 my water broke 4 weeks early while I was in my sisters hospital room while she was delivering her baby. Baby number 2 started with contractions and my water later broke at the hospital. Baby 3 also started with contractions at home and turned into a 16 hr labor where they broke my water. Baby number 4 my water broke at home with little warning when I stood up out of my rocking chair. Baby number 5 started with mild contractions at home...I didn't believe it was real labor so I took a bath and waited an hr. The dr wasn't too happy with me since my contractions were only a couple minutes apart by the time I called them and it was baby number 5 and I had a 45 min. drive to the hospital :) I think she was worried I wouldn't make it in time. I was only dialated to 2cm when I got to the hospital with a bulging water and shortly after arriving it broke on it's own. I wish I knew how this one was going to start since I have 2 little ones at home still and 3 older children in school. My routine is very hectic!

With my first I had a show about 11pm at night and shortly after my contractions started, they were painful ones from the start. Went to hospital and had my son the following morning.

With my second I started having contractions at lunchtime when I was giving my son his lunch. Waited a couple of hours and went to hospital and had my daughter at 5.30 that afternoon.

This time I'm wondering when it will happen (it's been 13 yrs since my last) it is exciting though :)

With my first, was having contractions for 30 hours before I was in established labour. Was 5cm when I got to hospital.
Second labour - EXACTLY the same.
Third labour - Braxton Hicks had been hurting during the day - enough for me to notice, but not enough for me to think anything was happening. And then I woke up that night about 12pm having contractions. Arrived at hospital at 7cm and he was born 45 minutes later. I was totally expecting a labour like my first two.
Am not sure what to expect this time around.

baby 1 : induced, then took a further 4 days to come out

baby 2 : induced, then took a further 1 day to come out

baby 3 : waters went on their own, no progression, induced, then took a further 1 day to come out

With ds baby no 2 I had a show at 7pm and contractions started 12 hours later. With dd2 baby no 3 oh and I dtd and I started bleeding heavily straight after so went in at 3am, contractions had started shortly after but not bad, was 3cm and waters broken at half 7am and delivered at half 12pm xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->