How do I go private when I'm already on NHS waiting list?

Hollybush75

Mam at last
Reaction score
Bit of background: I was referred to an endocrinologist in May by my obstetrics consultant after my last miscarriage. I had a thyroid function test back in Jan which showed an elevated TSH (10.4) but normal range T4. Further test for thyroid antibodies showed normal. GP told me I was "subclinical" and no treatment necessary, come back in 6 months for another test, in the meantime you're okay to carry on TTC. At 7 weeks on my 3rd pregnancy, I saw my obstetrics consultant for the first reassurance scan which was all okay. He had looked up my history, saw the elevated TSH and requested another thyroid function test. 3 weeks later, when I saw him for my next reassurance scan which was not good news, I was told my TSH had risen to 11.1 (not much I know) however my T4 had dropped to just above normal range which is why he referred me.

3 weeks ago I got my appointment date to see the endo consultant...6th August. Then last week I got a call from the hospital to say he has now stopped doing his Friday clinics and the earliest appointment they could give would be 1st September.

Now this morning I got a letter cancelling my 1st September appointment and rearranging it for 8th September.

I'm really suffering with my symptoms and it's taking a toll on my marriage now as well as my every day living.

Does anyone have any advice as to how I can get referred to a private hospital whilst still on NHS waiting list? Obviously I will cancel my NHS appointment if I can get referred faster to private but I have no idea how private referral/treatment works in the UK. Would it take about 7 weeks to get the appointment or sooner.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I'm in bits and I'm at my wits end.

If you've got private medical insurance you just ask your doctor to write you a referral letter for the treatment you want. This gets put on your nhs record. You then contact your insurer and find out which hospital you go to for the treatment (you may have more than one option). You contact the hospital of your choice who get the referral letter from your doctor and hey presto!

If you dont have insurance, you just pick the hospital you want to go to and 'pay as you go'. You dont have to tell your nhs doctor you are doing this so you will be on the nhs waiting list as well. Private treatment commences really quickly. You can research the hospitals on-line. Some allow you to split your payments into instalments so ask about this when you contact the hospital

gl x

you can get a private appointment within days
as mentioned above, find a local hospital and ask who there endocrinologist is, get your GP to write a referral letter, book your appointment.

lots of luck
x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTom
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"