How do u punish a 16 year old???

Hmmm, not sure. I'm 16 and to be honest, there aren't a lot of ways you can punish a 16 year old. Not even taking away christmas presents, my mum threatened this and when she realised I didn't care she gave up on it. I wouldn't suggest the whole "taking things away" because thats just going to make them angry and feel like they're being treated like a child, maybe a lecture or something? Obviously they aren't going to listen but they'll do anything to shut you up:haha:

try the im sidisapointed, your upsetting me, route

if not try the shouting

''you want to be an adult well then start fucking acting like one! your 16 go out get a job i want 10pound rent a week! cant get a job? i waant some of your ema then''

the last one worked for me. i licked my moms ass until i moved out the fort of paying rent killed me. she sat me down showed me all her in/expenditure and told me she wanted me to pay 10% about 15 quid a week. now on 30pound ema i couldt take that risk of her taking it lol

I have all this to come, my daughter is nearly 13 and all my punishments are starting to become less effective.
Ive grounded her, banned her from the pc, stopped her having her mobile unless shes at school and she has the whole `i dont care` attitude.
Very frustrating!!x

Any ideas? Im at my wits end

people say you can ground teenagers. but honestly, think about it...you ground them, they'll only want to break the rules even more. i'm 16 and my mothers punishment was letting me do whatever i want. i.e. going to whoevers party i wanted etc. which then i wound up pregnant. :)

i was very well behaved, punctual etc in school up until about 14 when i stopped going in because i was being bullied. there may be more to it than meets the eye. if you hate school enough you'll do anything to avoid it. my mum took away all my priviliges - money, phone, keys, internet, grounded me, drove me right inside the school every morning (i did do worse things than not going into school i'll admit, but those are the punishments she gave) and i have to say if you are determined enough to break the rules you will do.
money - borrowed off friends until i could pay it back.
phone - i saw this one coming so wrote down numbers of all my friends on a piece of paper and used payphones or rang them off the house phone the night before to make arrangements for the next day (ie when we were meant to be in school)
keys - bribed my brother to lend me his for the day and went and got another one cut
internet - ...yeah that one annoyed me. lol
grounding - sneak out when she was in bed (out a window if she'd locked the front door), or just not come home after school, bring spare clothes in my bag etc, go out, stay at a friends.
driving me to school - i'd literally just walk straight out again when she'd drove off and get on a bus into town.
its ridiculous the lengths id go to to avoid every punishment she threw at me but if you hate school that much youll do it!
im 17 now and have matured alot, getting my life back on track (yes im pregnant but im going back to college next year etc, plus i dont think getting pregnant ruins your life :))
im basically in a much better place now to do it myself because nagging and punishing me didnt work.
everyone is different tho, i think taking his money & 'non-essentials' away (clothes, etc) is a good idea though, money is essential as a 16 year old :p and if he cant borrow off friends hes screwed x

try the im sidisapointed, your upsetting me, route

if not try the shouting

''you want to be an adult well then start fucking acting like one! your 16 go out get a job i want 10pound rent a week! cant get a job? i waant some of your ema then''

the last one worked for me. i licked my moms ass until i moved out the fort of paying rent killed me. she sat me down showed me all her in/expenditure and told me she wanted me to pay 10% about 15 quid a week. now on 30pound ema i couldt take that risk of her taking it lol

I like this one :rofl:

Not much advice really as I never really had many problems at 16. In fact at 16 I was more grown up than some 20 year olds I knew.

I went to college full time. Leaving the house for the bus at 8am getting back in at 5.20pm getting changed and going for the 5.45 bus to work and working from 6-9.30/10pm every night including weekends!

I used to pay £20 board a week even though I was never in the house but I used to get my EMA and about £60 a week on top of that, so that was never a problem for me. I agree with the getting him to get a job as I think it will help him grow up a bit.

As for grounding, my mum tried to ground me at 16 years old and stop me from seeing my current OH so I walked out and left and never went back :lol: xx

We have the luxury of living on a farm, my 15 yo daughter doesnt go anywhere unless I take her, everything is way too far! :rofl: I think if they want to be treated like an adult then they need to behave like one and until they choose to do so they get punished like a 2yo, her toys get taken away, there is no mobile phone, no computer or internet and the ipod is removed as well, she can huff and puff all she wants but comes round soon enough! I like the suggestion of walking him into school, he will only put up with that for so long, I would throw in a kiss on the cheek too and a nice hug from mummy in front of his mates, Im sure he would make sure to be punctual in the future to save face!:rofl: I think the important thing when dealing with them is to try and keep some sense of humour and remember what is was like when you were a teen under your parents roof, but I agree that they should obey any reasonable rules you have while they are still living with you. Good luck hun, at least we know there is light at the end of the tunnel and most of them eventually grow out of it in a couple of years, then we get out angels back!:hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->