How do you enjoy your own company?

Pearls18

Reaction score
If you have to experience it a lot?

I hate it when my husband is working away and I need to get used to it! Generally I like my own company if I can pop out shopping, or go out doing something like that, i quite like my commute on the train listening to music or reading, I would happily be the loner in the cinema by themselves. I hate being at home on my own, I find it so lonely and I miss my husband so much. On the one hand I think that's a good thing...he's my husband and I should want to be with him, but on the other I think I should be a more independent woman not constantly living on a countdown iykwim? I'm not sure if it's just because I'm on maternity leave ATM and with a young baby being at home just feels like a bit of a prison sentence for me ATM I can't remember how I felt before DS2 was born and tbh hubby didn't have to go away as much then. But I find it hard to motivate myself when he's away, the house is a mess, and I'm sat here staring at my iPad bored even though kids are up in bed so I should be relaxing.

If you have to be on your own regularly how do enjoy yourself? I don't want to spend my life waiting for hubby to get home!

I spend virtually every evening on my own and most weekends - I'm personally a bit of a home bunny. I tend to pass my time watching Netflix and catching up on some boxsets but I know that's not everyone's cup of tea! Xx

I spend virtually every evening on my own and most weekends - I'm personally a bit of a home bunny. I tend to pass my time watching Netflix and catching up on some boxsets but I know that's not everyone's cup of tea! Xx

That is me down to a T, I'm not much of a socialite, but I just prefer it when hubby is there even if he's on his iPad. I didn't use to be quite as pathetic!

I feel your pain!

My OH travels quite a lot and has done since just before DD1 came along. Sometimes his contracts take him away for 2-3 nights a week, others (at the mo) take him away for a whole week every month. I prefer him going a couple of nights a week (if I can't have him home that is!), after a couple of nights I get bored. I'm generally happy enough in my own company but when there's nothing decent on the telly I start clock watching until bedtime, then lay in bed tossing and turning!

I refuse to do housework after 8pm but sometimes I potter in the garden. Or I have a 'beauty night' which basically consists of a bath, face pack and painting my toenails! When he was away last week I downloaded a new book and sat in the conservatory, I normally sit in the lounge all night so that made a nice change!

Most nights I sit and fold washing and watch crap telly. Need to get a hobby I think!

hmmm If its during the day I will play my piano, chill out on the computer watch netflix... i also like writing lists :/

If im on my own in the evening i generally spend the entire time hunting round the house as i convince myself that someone/something is in the house :/

im such a wimp in the dark... back around xmas time I was sat in the living room and my OH was in the bath, it was the evening so dark outside and someone knocked on my door... instead of answering it like a normal person I jumped up and ran and hid in the bathroom (OH was not impressed) because i was convinced it was going to be a clown that wanted to paint my window ledges :/ :shock: wtf is wrong with my head lol

I either watch tv or read a book- loved being in my own company in the Evenings x

I love my own company! I don't get enough time alone, but when I do I enjoy going to the gym, long hot showers, watching TV and surfing the Internet. :)

That is me down to a T, I'm not much of a socialite, but I just prefer it when hubby is there even if he's on his iPad. I didn't use to be quite as pathetic!

I do get pangs of wanting him there, but then when he is I get annoyed and want my sofa and remote back!! :haha::rofl:

I have also found myself with having some craft projects recently for my friends hen, then after that I've got some home projects to finish. Soon enough it will be Christmas and there will be all those fun projects to get started on!!! :thumbup:

Before my lil menace came along I would happily sit by myself a do jigsaw puzzles

I enjoy my own company, before I met DH I lived alone & was quite happy although I did see friends & family most days, I enjoy movies, box sets, surfing the net, reading, going for long walks while listening to music & generally chilling out, seems a thing of the past now since LO came along, I still get a bit of chill time which I now cherish!

I'm a solitary kind of person so it doesn't bother me at all, I write or hop online and check out forums/etc. Don't really watch TV though, it just doesn't interest me!

I've always enjoyed my own company. As one of four as a kid and having two younger twin brothers I always craved alone time :lol: so as an adult now I really appreciate alone time and enjoy my own company. I live on my own with my two LO's so most my evenings are spent alone apart from weekends when I do stuff/see friends.
I love just chilling listening to music, having a nice long bath, I can waste hours watching Netflix :lol:. Browsing blogs and writing my own blog, reading magazines/books.

I think it is worse when you have little ones because it isn't really "freedom" to do your own thing as you are still on call to be the responsible parent.

I tend to make a list of all the things I can't do when DH is around. E.g

Paint my nails (DH hates the smell)
Watch costume dramas
Plan his B'day or xmas pressie
Dye my hair (DH hates the smell!)

etc.

I think when you are 'aware' you have time to yourself it isn't as easy to enjoy stuff as it seems you are forced to do certain things rather than do them when you fancy it.

I love my own company in the evenings when the kids are in bed and OH is at work i tend to sit and catch up on the soaps as i dont always get a chance to watch them. Have a glass of wine or a cup of tea and biscuits. Biss love me timeO:)

I love time to myself, dh is working nights but leaving really late so he's here all day and the only time he's out the house is while I'm asleep.
Driving me insane.
I watch films, read, surf the net, text friends, do beauty stuff, meal and recipe plan.
Xx

I'm used to my own company now but I think it's much harder when you're alone because there's someone who should be there but isn't (iykwim). You're more of a loose end.
I keep myself busy with crafts - sewing, crochet, candlemaking etc. I've also started exercising again so I do kettlebells in the house when Lucas is in bed. I do find myself being pretty unproductive a lot of the time, sitting with my phone while the house is a tip not bothering! I reckon it makes me feel lonelier though, when I'm feeling like that I switch off the TV, put my phone down, stick some music on and it usually perks me up a bit.

I love having time to myself in the evenings after the kids are in bed (get a lot of that this time of the year, because DH doesn't usually get home from work til after I'm asleep. Planting season for farmers are VERY long hours). I like reading a book on my own, or catching up on shows I like that DH doesn't like, watching a movie, etc.

I really dislike being on my own all day with the kids sitting at home, though. So on weekends when I'm off work, we usually have to go somewhere for at least a few hours or I get too stir crazy. Or the kids get too stir crazy, I should say, and drive me nuts with the constant fighting over toys, etc. So we get out for a bit, and then they are better able to get along again for another few hours. LOL.

I struggle with it and my oh has only been away for a stagger and a few nights out where he gets home late so if it was often I think I'd either be more used to it or hate it more.

I tend to countdown to bedtime to be honest, he comes home slate one night a week and that night I try and watch TV programmes or catch up on cleaning but I don't really have any hobbies as such.
I actually think I'd really struggle if oh worked away tbh. At the moment we haven't even spoken in over an hour as I'm on here and he's playing a football game but I can see him. Sorry I'm no help at all

i usually just spend the whole night on my phone :lol: texting/facebooking people and looking at things on the internet. with music on in the background and on a tuesday night i watch made in chelsea from the night before :blush: i would love to say i read or do something else intelligent but it would be a lie. i actually really like my own company, very rarely get bored but i'm SO lonely at night! my DH works backshift and gets home at 11.30pm and that's bad enough, i would be super lonely if he worked away like yours does. i don't even mind if we don't interact with each other, just having someone else around is nice :) my LO goes to bed between 5 and 6pm (did not encourage this AT ALL!) so i can't go out and see people, when she was younger i was always out until quite late with her but she won't tolerate that any more :haha:

My dh goes away for work a couple of nights most weeks...i read a lot and try cooking new things, but i don't like him being away and i would rather he was there even if he was just working on his computer so i could bug him when i felt like it :haha: i often phone my mum and have a long chat as well actually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->