How do you feel about epidurals/natural birth?

I'm all about the epidural :thumbup:

I was well informed beforehand about the risks that come along with it (and other methods of pain relief). Decided it was the only thing I would do. I didn't like the idea of the other drugs causing respritory problems for baby.

I had a really great birth experience. There were complications, but they were inevitable, and everything turned out ok :) I never felt any pressure to get it... My doctor just asked, "Do you want an epidural?" and I said, "YESSSS"

I guess I don't agree that they are over used... as long as the mother to be is informed of any risks, it's her decision :shrug: I say if it's there, no harm in using it!

Though as I've said before, I have incredible respect for anyone who can go without. Makes my lady parts hurt even thinking about it!

Haha, your story made me giggle a little. My doctor's wife is an anesthesiologist and said that she was going to have an epidural first thing. He explained to her that she was going to have an anesthesiologist who would decide what was best/safest. But she was extremely insistent on getting it as soon as possible. :haha:

I'm all for having it if you want it. I just really don't feel like there is a lot of adequate information at most hospitals for women to make as informed a decision as possible. A lot of women aren't as adamant about doing their own research either. That's my only real concern.

I agree, it needs to be an informed decision. I only know from my personal experience, which was good. But from what everyone is saying it sounds like that isn't always the case, which is too bad.

Here in the States, I think it considered odd if you don't get an epidural. I went in to the whole delivery thing really naive. I just assumed I would get one, never though about anything else (was never even discussed with my OB). I waddled into the Labor and Delivery and they asked if I was getting an epidural, I said "yep" and I got one within minutes of being in the room.
Mine was a bad experience, with only taking on the left side. I think I got it way too early and Nolan was not able to get in the proper position because I could not move. He was back to back and stuck because his head was crooked, took 3 hours of hard pushing to get him out.

Next time I am hoping to avoid the epidural but I really have no clue what my other options are. Gas and Air sounds wonderful, but I have never heard of it here.

This being said, I have no issue with other women getting or not getting an epidural, to each their own.

I think epidurals are kind of good for a first birth experience, if the woman is open to the idea and would like one. To me, it was such a scary unknown, that I really appreciated being able to have some time to calm down and relax before Helena actually arrived.

This time, I would like to go natural. :)

I do think they're used too often and that women should at least give themselves a chance to try to go without. I was adamant about not getting one. I was terrified of the cascading interventions and I'd read about a study where sheep were given epidurals and every one of them rejected their lambs. I planned a homebirth and told my husband to remind me about the lambs if I asked to go into hospital for an epi.

Latent labor started, every 10 minutes or so, 3 days before the real fun began and because I didn't really understand what was happening (I expected it to kick into full gear at any second the whole time) I didn't eat or sleep/rest nearly enough. They tried to get me to eat when I was in the middle of full on labor and I couldn't stand the thought of it. So I completely ran out of energy, my labor slowed down and I started to panic.

We went into hospital and eventually I did get the epi (6 hours later) which was a very welcome relief. I've bonded just fine with my daughter, maybe its all the oxytocin from breastfeeding. :winkwink:

I'll try to go natural next time too, and have some of those energy gels marathoners use, because I think if it weren't for that I'd have done it.

I personally feel you wouldnt refuse pain relief in any other process. Like getting a tooth pulled, having your arm reset or even surgery.
So I dont really get the whole refussing to consider it thing. I think the best way to go into labour is having a full undstanding of what will be avaiable to you at the hospital you are going to.

I planned on having a epi. I even had to have a MRI at 36weeks to make sure i could have/get one. I still had a bit of a fight with the anethnitist on the day aout it lol.

It was becasuse of my Epidural that I wasnt given a general anesthetic for my C-section. I managed to convince them not to knock me out because I already had a really good line. if it wasnt for my epidural neither me or OH would have been there fr the birth of our baby.

I think every labour is different, every person is different . I think its another on of those things that your a 'better' mum for not having medication or a epi. Its something people brag about and your conradulated if you did it natually. I think as long as we get our children into the world safely well then everyone should be congradulated.

I think each to there own if you want a epi and can have one fine if you don't don't I don't see the big deal

I wanted a natural birth but was very open minded as it was I need acroi in
Very tiny and lo broke my coxcy bone he got stuck if it wasn't for my epi I would have had a section my epi was fab I could move my legs and walk straight away but just couldn't feel as he was pushing past my coxcy bone which was already injured for a dancing injury

I personally feel you wouldnt refuse pain relief in any other process. Like getting a tooth pulled, having your arm reset or even surgery.
So I dont really get the whole refussing to consider it thing. I think the best way to go into labour is having a full undstanding of what will be avaiable to you at the hospital you are going to.

I planned on having a epi. I even had to have a MRI at 36weeks to make sure i could have/get one. I still had a bit of a fight with the anethnitist on the day aout it lol.

It was becasuse of my Epidural that I wasnt given a general anesthetic for my C-section. I managed to convince them not to knock me out because I already had a really good line. if it wasnt for my epidural neither me or OH would have been there fr the birth of our baby.

I think every labour is different, every person is different . I think its another on of those things that your a 'better' mum for not having medication or a epi. Its something people brag about and your conradulated if you did it natually. I think as long as we get our children into the world safely well then everyone should be congradulated.

Thats not the same though. Thats repairing self inflicted damage. Giving birth is a natural process that we're designed to do.

it drives me mad when people say well u use pain relief if u go to the dentist! they are not the same at all and giving birth "naturaly" is nothing like a operation!

im shit scared of the dentist so would gladly be knocked out cold for anything but i dont have the same view on birth.

and no one here has really said epidurals shouldnt be used here, i think most of us have said (i no i have) that the epis are there for a reason and that the woman should no everything about it before having one, rather then hospital staff fourcing them onto women to make their job easier

I dont think that its always a self inflicted injury, slipping and falling and dislocating your shoulder isnt self inflicted and neither is having your wisdom teeth out..

As some are scared of the dentist some women are scared of the pains from labour sho choose to have an epidural.

I think as long as everyone knows the risks and the procedure then its their choice.

MW's shouldnt be so pushy with it though and should go through pain relief that you can have before the epidural.

An epidural is self-inflicted regardless of the reasons for having it. I don't believe one woman is a better mother than another for giving birth without pain relief but after I gave birth naturally to my LO I felt such a sense of triumph and empowerment that was much greater than what I felt after my medicated birth with DD1.

I dont think that its always a self inflicted injury, slipping and falling and dislocating your shoulder isnt self inflicted and neither is having your wisdom teeth out..

As some are scared of the dentist some women are scared of the pains from labour sho choose to have an epidural.

I think as long as everyone knows the risks and the procedure then its their choice.

MW's shouldnt be so pushy with it though and should go through pain relief that you can have before the epidural.

well, falling is your own doing, having rotten teeth as you eat too much sugar is your doing, but I agree, not ALL cases are self inflicted. They're still an injury though. Childbirth isn't.

i need to have a tooth fixed because the last denitist i saw f*cked up, and im terryfied as the pain relief they give doesnt work on me so i do feel everything just like if they hadnt bothered using any.

my mums the same shed rather give birth then go to a dentist lol

again i said id rather be knocked out at the dentist because thats a fear i have and yes labour is beyond scary and i have said epis are there for a reason and long as its not forced on the woman and she actualy knows the pros and cons about having one then thats fine

I think, what is difficult in debates like this, is noone really knows what labour feels like for any other person and you never would be able to truly comprehend what it feels like for others, everyone has different pain threshold (I fell asleep having a tattoo done on my back ...... others say it is very painful there :shrug:) I guess you have too do what is best for you as a person at the end of the day

well, falling is your own doing, having rotten teeth as you eat too much sugar is your doing, but I agree, not ALL cases are self inflicted. They're still an injury though. Childbirth isn't.

I dont mean to pick :haha: but I couldnt help but post, my nan had dementia and I dont really like saying it was her own doing for falling.. Its not really your own doing, no one wants to fall, it just happens. I had my wisdom teeth out because I had too many teeth in my mouth and they would of started pushing them out of place, thats not an injury.. Childbirth is self inflicted in a sense as you got pregnant and want a child. Im not saying nobody should have an epidural or everyone should have one I think it depends on the mother and whether she is comfortable.

Whatever way we look at it we all gave birth to our child whether we had pain relief or we had none, whether we gave birth naturally or we had sections..

i agree my oh had a fall at work and for 2 yrs suffered with his ankle and then needed a operation to fix the damage. that wasnt his fault at all.

and yes being pregnant and giving birth is self inflicted because we choose to have our babies

i agree my oh had a fall at work and for 2 yrs suffered with his ankle and then needed a operation to fix the damage. that wasnt his fault at all.

and yes being pregnant and giving birth is self inflicted because we choose to have our babies

I agree, My OH was knocked off his bike by a very very drunk driver, none of that was his fault. The operations after were needed but no means his fault!

I agree, My OH was knocked off his bike by a very very drunk driver, none of that was his fault. The operations after were needed but no means his fault!

That must of been incredibly frustrating as your OH did nothing wrong.. :growlmad:
I dont see these things as 'own doing' or self inflicted.

I believe that natural birth has incredible benefits for both mother and baby. Epidurals not only come with their own set of risks, but they also increase the likelihood of other interventions. It's a shame that women are conditioned to fear childbirth rather than being taught to embrace it and be confident in what their bodies can do. Our culture of hospital births and many unnecessary medical interventions probably has a lot to do with that. At the end of the day it's up to the individual woman how she chooses to labour, but natural birth is an incredible empowering experience that gives you a fantastic "high" compared to medicated birth.

Okay lets try and put it another way.

150 years ago. You had teeth pulled at the denisit with no pain relief. You would have a leg reset by bitting down on a piece of wood. You would have a child wihout medication. Many many more peple died in all of the above situations.

Now you wouldnt have a tooth out without pain reilief being offered. You wouldnt have you leg resent with out pain relief being offered and people have babies where pain relief is offered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->