How do you feel about epidurals/natural birth?

As for what this debate is about, it's really just about what peoples thoughts are on the epidural itself and how it's administered, which I admit is pretty inclusive. I made the thread specifically because I saw a lot of interest in the breastfeeding thread. I kind of thought the issue would mold itself. Sorry if I left it too open-ended.

Choices, choices, choices. Surely that is what it is all about?

Many people in this country are really not that in tune with their bodies so while our bodies are may be designed to give birth, not everyone has the confidence that they can do it. Many people fear the pain and this should not be simply cast aside. Some people have the ability to deal with pain while others don't. One person's agony is another's just sore.

The information is out there. It is not hard to find. I read threads upon threads about people researching which pram to buy so if we can do that, we also need to be researching the pain relief we will use. We do need to take responsibility for ourselves as well as seeking information from health professionals.

100 years ago people didn't have the choice of pain relief we have now. Now it is here,many people do have the attitude that it is here so I will use it. If you are informed then I don't see the issue with this. For some people natural child birth is important but it is not so important to others.

I for one never consider the pain relief that a woman has had during childbirth. A positive birth for me will always be getting the baby here safely. I didn't have a birth plan with Emma as it would never have been followed anyway so I didn't have the feelings of being let down etc that others have had. I know not everyone thinks like that but for me, the most appropriate pain relief is whatever a woman wants. Her birth, her choice.

I definitely agree that it's a woman's choice. However, while the information is "out there," I think it could be made a lot more readily accessible at doctor's offices. I think, also, that doctors should be a little more forthcoming about the pros and cons associated with the epidural PRIOR to labor. A pamphlet or two at a doctor's office waiting room could make a world of difference, in my opinion. Especially in cultures where the epidural seems like the only option.

The info about pros and cons was readily discussed at my antenatal classes. It was also something my mw discussed. Along with all methods of pain relief and their side effects.

I have to say I found information on pain relief and labour widely available.
Via Mw/consulatants Leaflets Books Internet Pampohlets Antinatal classes My hospital

I went into my labour extreamly informed and its a frigging good job I did otherwise I would have been very panicked and scared

I didn't find any information readily available at my OB/Gyn or hospital really. I did my own research, though, and watched The Business of Being Born which I personally found really helpful.

It's also the woman's responsibility though. I don't think it's fair to say that doctors don't do a good enough job educating about epidurals, if the woman doesn't even take the time to ask.

At my monthly appointments, my OB starts by asking, "What questions do you have for me?" Which I always have a million... :)

i didnt get any info from my mw or docs about pain relief so soon as i got my bfp with zane i read about it all in mags as i didnt have the internet, so i felt very informed because i went out there and looked at the pros and cons.

if i hadnt of done this then i can easily see how my mw would of pushed everything on me (she is one of those mws who just like to shut people up)

Choices, choices, choices. Surely that is what it is all about?

Many people in this country are really not that in tune with their bodies so while our bodies are may be designed to give birth, not everyone has the confidence that they can do it. Many people fear the pain and this should not be simply cast aside. Some people have the ability to deal with pain while others don't. One person's agony is another's just sore.

The information is out there. It is not hard to find. I read threads upon threads about people researching which pram to buy so if we can do that, we also need to be researching the pain relief we will use. We do need to take responsibility for ourselves as well as seeking information from health professionals.

100 years ago people didn't have the choice of pain relief we have now. Now it is here,many people do have the attitude that it is here so I will use it. If you are informed then I don't see the issue with this. For some people natural child birth is important but it is not so important to others.

I for one never consider the pain relief that a woman has had during childbirth. A positive birth for me will always be getting the baby here safely. I didn't have a birth plan with Emma as it would never have been followed anyway so I didn't have the feelings of being let down etc that others have had. I know not everyone thinks like that but for me, the most appropriate pain relief is whatever a woman wants. Her birth, her choice.

I definitely agree that it's a woman's choice. However, while the information is "out there," I think it could be made a lot more readily accessible at doctor's offices. I think, also, that doctors should be a little more forthcoming about the pros and cons associated with the epidural PRIOR to labor. A pamphlet or two at a doctor's office waiting room could make a world of difference, in my opinion. Especially in cultures where the epidural seems like the only option.

The info about pros and cons was readily discussed at my antenatal classes. It was also something my mw discussed. Along with all methods of pain relief and their side effects.

Same here. I think NHS Lothian does have very good maternity care compared with a lot of other NHS trusts.

It's also the woman's responsibility though. I don't think it's fair to say that doctors don't do a good enough job educating about epidurals, if the woman doesn't even take the time to ask.

At my monthly appointments, my OB starts by asking, "What questions do you have for me?" Which I always have a million... :)

I agree, it applies a lot to the 'no support on bf' threads too.. slightly OT I know!

I agree, it applies a lot to the 'no support on bf' threads too.. slightly OT I know!

My only problem with this is that a woman won't ask a question if she doesn't perceive a problem with the epidural. Most women I've come across haven't had any doubts about the epidural, as it's so common place to get them. So it wouldn't be natural to ask a question about something you perceive as an inevitability, "everyone gets one, so I assume I will too" kind of thing. Why would you ask a question about something you assume is a perfectly normal part of giving birth, unless told otherwise?

I'm not sure if there are any cultural differences here. It seems to me that the practice of obstetrics varies a lot between the United States and the UK (ie, the use of midwives isn't done here on as wide a scale). So the information given might be totally different. I just know that all of the information I got on epidurals I got on my own. In fact, when I mentioned not wanting an epidural (this was before all of my problems surfaced) to my doctor, he seemed a little dumbfounded by it. That was just my experience, though.

I'm confused as to what the debate is about... That people are given epi's without proper information? Or that too many women are choosing epi's? I agree with the first, disagree with the second- because I don't think it's anyone's place to be saying what other women should be doing. And if a woman goes into her first labor saying she wants an epidural right away, who cares? It's her body, and she probably knows what she's capable of handling more than anyone else. I don't think pushing through without one makes a woman any better than the next...

I went into my first with the mindset that I would make it as far as I could without one. I made it... to the hospital... LOL. But I'm still proud of myself :)

I do agree that no one should tell a woman that she can't have an epi, but I do think it's alright to tell someone that they shouldn't (in a nice way) simply because it is amazing how much your pain threshold can rise during child birth if you let it. I think having a natural birth is just easier, more painful yes, but simpler in the end. Of course I'm only talking about during a labour where there aren't any major problems. Don't get me wrong though, I had a semi-natural birth (g&a while pushing) but I don't feel superior because of it, a little proud maybe, but I thought I was going to die it hurt so bad, I requested all sorts of drugs they just wouldn't give me any. I 100% understand why women choose to get an epi, but I also think they need to be a lot more informed about the actual risks and the fact that their labour can go so much faster and easier if they just let it happen naturally.

As for the comparison to medicating while having teeth pulled or bones put back in place...well they over medicate for that too. I had a filling put in a few years ago and was shocked that the dentist used a numbing gel on my gums before giving the numbing injection, so the injection wouldn't hurt! They didn't do that when I was younger and it didn't hurt that much.

I think people just don't have the belief in their bodies anymore. Our bodies are nothing short of amazing and we do produce lots of hormones to help us deal with the pain. I remember being absolutely knackered during transition but when I needed to push, suddenly I had loads of energy again - good old adrenaline!

RE the dentist thing - I've had a filling with no injection and NEVER again! It was agonising. I was about 12 or 13 at the time and had a chinese dentist - idk if its practise in china to do them without? He asked me if I wanted the injection and it be a longer process or just to crack on. Obv I chose just to crack on :( bad move.

I would like to see more natural labours pushed more and epidurals offered less easily.

Though i do think the UK is actually pretty good when it comes to labour and delivery. Sometimes when im reading threads in 3rd tri it scares me how medicalised everything is over in the US

I am very disheartened by the way child birth has been hijacked by medicine and c sections and meds are the norm. Don't get me wrong, I'm pleased we have technology to save and protect complicated births etc and I have personal experience in that area myself unfortunately. Most women head to a hospital to be told what to do by people who have barely met them. So many women fear birth and spend their entire pregnancies trying to buy a section and avoid the birthing process. I am just really sad that women have handed over one of the most special parts of their lives and willingly trade it for interventions that often cause the problems that require the darn sections in the first place.

I am firmly of the opinion that OBs and hospitals should care for women with major complications and leave the birthing centres and homes for birthing babies. I hate the language used in relation to child birth - delivery (the doctor who delivered my baby...umm most of the time it was you pushing, not him) I was not allowed to birth standing up, sitting down, in my home etc (not allowed?? We need permission slips??) What I hate the most is the backlash against people who have actually birthed the way our ancestors have been doing it for years and get accused of being selfish, uneducated, a martyr, a hippy etc. It's a pretty cool thing to birth your child and be present for it. Why do others feel the need to take that away from mothers when they have had interventions or surgery either electively or by emergency?? I often hear doctor tout stupid messages like "no one gives you a medal for doing it natural" etc. More to the point, no one pays your mortgage that way do they?? I got my medal, born at 35 weeks as I had preeclampsia and he was safer out. Interventions would have resulted in NICU care for him. a natural birth gave his lungs the start he needed and he was discharged with me 4 days later. That was my medal.

I would like to see more natural labours pushed more and epidurals offered less easily.

Though i do think the UK is actually pretty good when it comes to labour and delivery. Sometimes when im reading threads in 3rd tri it scares me how medicalised everything is over in the US

Yeah as bad as labour was here I was glad I didn't have baby in the US. It seems like it's so routine to just hook everyone up to different drips and not let you eat anything other than ice and have to wear the hospital gown and everything is just so strict and sterile. I had never even heard of gas & air offered there either which seems very strange considering how common it is here and since it doesn't affect baby. I'm sure it's all great for someone with a high risk pregnancy, but for an average woman with no complications they just don't need to do all that. And they definitely make it seem like an epi is standard.

I think people just don't have the belief in their bodies anymore. Our bodies are nothing short of amazing and we do produce lots of hormones to help us deal with the pain. I remember being absolutely knackered during transition but when I needed to push, suddenly I had loads of energy again - good old adrenaline!

Same for me! Did you get the sudden urge to push? (I don't know if it's the same for everyone) It was such a huge relief when my body was finally ready to push because it meant labour pain was almost over! :happydance:

RE the dentist thing - I've had a filling with no injection and NEVER again! It was agonising. I was about 12 or 13 at the time and had a chinese dentist - idk if its practise in china to do them without? He asked me if I wanted the injection and it be a longer process or just to crack on. Obv I chose just to crack on :( bad move.

Ouch!! I would never ever consider getting a filling without the injection, the numbing gel before the injection is really the only OTT part. Even with the injection it still hurts a little while they drill out the tooth, I couldn't imagine doing that with no injection at all!

Kalah - You make a really good point. My labor experience was pretty insane. I was hooked to so many machines and medicines that my feet were swollen for three or four days after. I seriously looked down to put on my shoes and thought "These are not going to fit." With me, it was different because I was a seizure risk and they had to monitor the baby at all times to make sure she was handling my blood pressure spikes okay, but my GP told me that baby monitoring was used on a pretty constant basis even in low risk situations.

And a previous poster also said that part of what makes labor so painful is the awkward position they have us in. I wanted to walk around the room to alleviate the pain but I wasn't allowed. Even if I was, it would be extremely difficult because of the IV I was hooked to as well as the monitor. Labor would make a lot more sense if we were allowed to let gravity do its work (like it's done in a lot of home and water birth scenarios). This would make an epidural a lot less necessary for some women with lower pain thresholds.

It's really not the GP's faults. The US has a history of a lot of malpractice suites, so they just have to protect themselves in case something goes wrong. That way they can say "We did the best we could..." regardless of what the outcome is. Unfortunately, the epidural just comes as part of the "medicate it" atmosphere that's associated with so much unnecessary intervention, even in low risk cases. That's not to say a low risk woman shouldn't opt to have one if she really wants one. I just feel like it's not really even presented as an option.

I know it's kind of odd that I'm as passionate about this as I am, considering the fact that I did end up having a C-section and haven't really experienced anything close to natural birth. I just feel that birth can be an extremely empowering experience, and I would like to see more doctors "experiencing" birth rather than simply "treating" it. If that makes any sense? :shrug:

I haven't read any threads, mostly because I don't want to get my back up about it, because I do get my back up about this topic. I hate it when people come in and think they are holier than thou because THEY managed to do a so-called natural birth. Good for you! There is no award, no one CARES but yourself, so get over it. I am quite happy with my CHOSEN C-sections (shun haha rolls eyes). Just because people choose pain relief or medical births doesn't mean they don't have the facts, or haven't done their research...it means they want it that way! Seriously, if I wanted a au naturel birth, say like, in Ughanda where they do that all the time..the death rate is horrible!!! There is a reason why things have gone medical and we are not freaking Ghandi and we don't have to sit there is pain and try to be heros. Nuff said.

Death during childbirth in 3rd world countries like Uganda has nothing to do with them being natural births :wacko: They die from losing blood usually and they dont have any blood to transfuse, or they die of infections as theres no antibiotics, abortions that arent done properly or under sterile conditions, the mothers get malaria, have HIV etc. Csections when not needed would actually be more harmful.

It's highly ironic that in the same breath you harp on about being educated then make an extremely ignorant comment like that.

it gets on my nerves that people think just because some of us want to give birth without a epidural that somehow we are acting holier then thou when all of us have said epis are there for a reason and for those who want them.

just because i dont want a epidural and i want a home natural birth doesnt mean im up my own arse

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->