How do you go about claiming Child Benefit?

WelshGirl

Mummy at last!!
Reaction score
Does anyone know about this? I don't know if it is actually called child benefit....the money that everyone is entitled to? And while I'm asking about this, how much is it that you get?

Thanks
xx

You should get all the info you need to claim CB in a pack after you have had your baby. Mine was given to me by the hospital in a "Bounty Pack"
For your first child its about £18.00 but going up to £20 in Jan 09

https://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/TaxCreditsandChildBenefit/Childbenefits/DG_073770

also you maybe entitled to child tax credit

Yes, you'll get a whole load of info after the birth. We got a folder early from MIL who is a MW. That tells you how to work out everything you're entitled to and how to claim it.

I don't think we are entitled to anything else, beacuse our combined income is quite high.......or will that change for the period that I am on SMP?

I don't think we are entitled to anything else, beacuse our combined income is quite high.......or will that change for the period that I am on SMP?

This page might help: https://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/TaxCreditsandChildBenefit/TaxCredits/DG_073939

Look around the direct.gov site for more info on exactly what you're entitled to. I thought they had a calculator for checking everything you're eligible for, but I couldn't find it just now.

Oops, there it is: https://www.hmrc.gov.uk/taxcredits/calculator.htm

Yeah your application is in your Bounty pack that you will receive after birth so make sure you get one and send it off quickly....you will need birth certificate too when you apply so make an appointment to register baby as soon as you can as well coz that's when you get certificate.

My top tip is to take your purse with you when you register baby and buy a copy of the birth certificate there and then so you can have a nice copy for baby keepsake box and another copy to send off for things like Child Benefit, passport etc. It's cheaper to get a spare at the time than to muck about afterwards and get another.

One thing I'm confused about is whether a family can get any working tax credit at all if one parent isn't working. According to the calculator I linked to above, me and hubby wouldn't be entitled to any WTC, yet hubby fulfils all the criteria. I tried it both ways, filling it in as myself first and then as him. Either way we get zilch. Bit confused about that.

Also, do you count as being on maternity leave if you're not entitled to SMP and are claiming MA instead? Obviously being on maternity leave counts as working for the purposes of WTC, so would probably make all the difference there.

They've spilt it into Child Tax Credit and Working Tax Credit....it's all so confusing. I'm a full-time Mummy but we get some (couldn't tell you which though without rummaging through my paper cupboard:dohh:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->