how do you keep toys tidy?

catty

Reaction score
So my son got a crazy amount of toys from people for christmas and im struggling to make his room look nice and not cluttered. His room is 14ft by 16ft so fairly big (by uk sizes anyway) but it is just jam packed with toys and doesnt look nice.

I got a storage type shelf which I have laid all the medium sized toys on and a shelf for books and two buckets for little toys (I hate having to rake around in buckets to find the toy I want though)
Im struggling to find places for the larger toys such as baby walker, a ball tunnel, swing (think hes done with the swing) and other larger items.
What do others do? Pictures would be great.
We are having another baby and they will share a room when the baby is old enough but now im worried as I didnt realise how much space would be taken by toys

We have a few of those flexi tubs and also have a storage thing from Ikea that is handy for smaller bits like jigsaws, cars, vans etc.

Shelving unit: https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/60135299/#/20135300

With these boxes: https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/30219281/#/10244899

Eta: we have the shelving unit in white and use two blue and two green boxes...it looks lovely.

We put them away in tubs/draws etc about a zillion times a day and hope for the best :haha:

We put them away in tubs/draws etc about a zillion times a day and hope for the best :haha:

You are due 3 days before me! Omg i can just imagine the toys you must have with 3 young children!

We put the main toys in our ikea expedit unit, this is the largest size, but we also have a 2 x 2 and a 5 x 5 sized one

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 30

You are due 3 days before me! Omg i can just imagine the toys you must have with 3 young children!

Haha!! ordinarily yes but I've become a mean mummy and had a major toy cull. everything they have down here now they got for Christmas. the rest has been relegated upstairs :haha:

We keep all toys in storage boxes in the under stairs cupboard (She calls it her toy cave :))

It's massive so I can easily fit all of them in there and our living area doesn't get mussy or look cluttered x

The kids have a big tub and an expedit each in their rooms, then we have an expedit downstairs and a big side board for all the bigger toys :)

We have an expedit unit in the living room and Bobby has one in his room too! Darcey's room is too small to store anything in! It's my mission tomorrow to find places for all the toys, I'm dreading it!

Well, we have toys everywhere! Hahaha

In his room he has a toy box which we keep his toys that are a bit too old for him in. A box case which is crammed full of books about 5 times a day he empies completely:haha: oh yeah and a massive blue tub thing (think it might be a laundry basic :haha: over flowing with cuddly toys

I. The living room he has four massive crates, one with musical instruments, one with cars and such like and the other two with miscallainious toys. On the floor of the living room there's his toot toot garage and airport, a vtech keyboard thing, megablocks fire engine, walker, activity block, a bus, a fire engine, his sort and soar vtech rocket, a robot thing, it goes on and on lol.

The living room actually looks like a toy shop:haha: I think we've contributed to at least half of vtechs profit within the last year :dohh:

He's only 1 how can he have sooooooo much stuff?

I have a cube organizer similar to the IKEA one in my living room for miscellaneous toys and when the three bins dedicated to toys get full I put them in the kids room. There is a small organizer in there and a toy chest along with bookshelfs in living room and the bedroom. I also buy 1$ laundry baskets for blocks or 5 gallon storage bins and keep them stacked in the cost. My goodness two kids have a lot of room for toys! oh and I also cull toys about every six months lol

All toys are in their original boxes, it's easier to sort & store in shelves wardrobe. The swing we got rid of, baby-ish toys are stored away (but we don't have a baby). We have a 6ft trampoline in his play room, shelves cabinet & tubs drawers (for arts & crafts stuff) behind the door, his easel is in one corner, a small table with 2 chairs against the wall, his keyboard with stand against another wall close the tv, his ride one behind the trampoline. His car garage is kept above the shelves cabinet as it's too big to keep it on a shelve & it's a hassle to dismentle then build every time he needs to play with. All other toys like trains/ train tracks, themed Lego/ Duplo, marbles run, puzzles, etc are kept in their original boxes in a wardrobe in his bedroom, when he wants to play with those tours he gets them from his room. I even dismantled the spin zebra as it was taking loads of floor space. I hate clutter

In the living room we have the ikea trofast with trays and in his bedroom he has storage boxes under the bed. Not to sure how we are going to cope when this baby has toys :wacko:

We put the main toys in our ikea expedit unit, this is the largest size, but we also have a 2 x 2 and a 5 x 5 sized one

We've got a 4x4 version of the expedit in our lounge, the top two shelves are ours for dvds etc, the bottom two rows are for Isobel's toys and books. We have drawers in 3 of the cubes so we can keep little bits and bobs tidy - one's full of megablocks for example. She also has a big wicker hamper basket with some bigger toys in. In her room she just has a couple of small baskets as it's not a big room and she mostly plays downstairs.

Art stuff (other than crayons and paper which are in with her toys) we keep separately as don't want her to get out glue, paint and clay by herself when we're not looking lol.

The cube systems are great as when in boxes or with doors the mess is 'contained'. Even though our lo isn't here yet we have lots of random stuff in one of these. I find open shelving keeps things off the floor but it still looks messy.

I don't :haha:
Well, I try. I try and keep them all in storage stuff like I have a storage unit in my living room and the kids room has a big cupboard in but they never stay where they're meant to

I have about 6 storage bins/boxes...it's almost under control :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->