How do you keep your daughter from growing up too quick...?

I agree that the majority of this influence sounds like it is from her mother, who seems to being trying to be a "friend" and not a parent. It's a good thing she has you and her dad to be the voice of reason and guidance!

By the way, I have an 8 year old daughter and I am not looking forward to all the above! They really do have so much pressure put on them these days, and just like you want for your SD, I want my daughter to love and respect herself and to know that beauty only goes so far. My daughter is also incredibly naturally beautiful and it would break my heart to ever see her exploited. I just want to protect her as you do your daughter. You sound like an amazing mom.

AH, thanks hun... ok... I must be hormonal right now cause I just about cried at your comments they are so sweet! lol.

I'm sure you will raise a beautiful and amazing daughter yourself. As a woman, we know the pressures facing our kids (especially today)-- and all we can is our BEST and hope they learn from us and go into the world stronger for it ;)

Best of luck to us ALL! hehe :flower:

Aww, thanks! By the way, we're neighbors! I live just outside of Salem in Independence, OR. I lived in Portland for years (from ages 12 to 26), but I've been down here for about 8 years now. I love the NW, especially the Willamette Valley!

Aww, thanks! By the way, we're neighbors! I live just outside of Salem in Independence, OR. I lived in Portland for years (from ages 12 to 26), but I've been down here for about 8 years now. I love the NW, especially the Willamette Valley!

Wow nice!!! Hello neighbor! hehe... Such a beautiful area to live... although, I could do with some more sunny days soon! lol ;)

I agree! I look forward to this summer when we get our one month of rain-free nice weather!

I have a 14 year old daughter and she pushes so many of my boundaries.
In this day and age its 'normal' for a girl to seem to grow up a lot quicker, wearing more revealing clothes more makeup ect. You need to determine if she wants to do things for herself or whether she's being peer pressured into it(say by her mom). If she does want to do things for herself then she might end up resenting you for not letting her experiment but if she is being pressured then she might end up being thankful for you not allowing her to do that.
Your step-daughter seems like she has her head screwed on and I don't think you need to worry about her going off of the rails.
If you want to stop her growing up too fast then you need to discover why she wants to act like an adult and combat those problems

Honestly, I think it's part her age... part her mom... and part what she see's at school... BUT... she does value our judgment and can't lie to us. So that's great! lol. We try to find a good compromise with her on most stuff... obviously there are times we just have to say NO (if it's beyond appropriate for her age)... but most of the time we do discuss why we have concerns and find a way we and her are happy. And she follows our rules most of the time... she's gonna push the boundaries... she is almost 14! Yikes. lol. And I think most of my worries are because I know how High School can be...

Thanks for your advice :) All is much appreciated.

I don't know, I'm kind of on the fence. I have older sisters who were a big influence on me. I started to shave from a very young age only because as that age I thought it was more hygienic. But I experimented with makeup when I was 13. I know my mum used to make comments that she didn't like the makeup etc. But if anything that made me more determined to rebel. It was my way with coming to terms with changes in my body because I know a lot of young women suffer from self esteem issue. So for me, wearing makeup made me feel a bit better. But now I'm 21 and expecting. My face is a mess, I'll accept natural beauty lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->