How do you keep your house warm?

J

Jem88

This is mine and OHs second house we've lived in, we moved in around 3 months ago and up until a few days ago it's been fine heat wise, we're now on prepay meters (we didn't have meters in our 1st home) and kind of ran up a huge bill :blush:.

For the past few days our house always seems cold, we normally put the heating on for an hour or so if it gets cold and it heats up pretty fast, but for the past few days it seems to take ages for the room to get warm and it doesn't seem to stay that warm :( I'm sick of being cold lol.

It always seems freezing in our house too, even with the heating on, it doesn't seem to get that warm even though the radiators are brand new and feel hot to touch. I've invested in some Coolers slippers, that are helping to keep me warm (they're supposed to keep feet warm in Winter and cool in Summer), I wear them permanently in the house (and car :blush:), I just don't seem to get warm.

We never put the heating on as it costs too much :L But at my house we do have an open fire which definitely works :)
At OH's house we just get under the duvet and I have a hot water bottle :haha:

We used to sit and watch tv under our duvet on the couch or in bed before LO came along lol. I find it's only really warm/hot when we've had the oven on aswell. I found my slippers and dressing gown this morning so had them on all day lol :D

We've only recently moved to this house too so it's taking some getting used to working out how to keep an optimum temperature without wasting money! We have an open fire and we have the heating set to come on for an hour or two here and there at the moment. Was fine til today when the weather has gotten colder and I just can't get warm and I've been under 2 fleece blankets on the couch with the fire and heating on for the past 2 hours!!!
I think it's time to get a hot water bottle again!!
I may also invest in some thermals :haha: I just feel like I'm wasting money trying to keep the house warm when it's getting cold so fast!!

i close the curtains at about 5pm, tuck them behind the radiators & then open them at 9am. the heating is on 5pm- 7pm & 7am - 9am. we have a basement underneath us so it gets pretty cold in here :(
ive put tinfoil behind the radiators to reflect the heat,
draft excluders at the bottom of doors,
when ive finished cooking i leave the oven door open while it coold down which helps warm the place up a bit.
xx

-Weather stripping on the bottom of the door..I found that our old place had a huge gap. -We also bought this plastic weather sheathing you can put on your windows to keep in the heat.
-Also when I'm finished baking whatever dish, I leave the oven door cracked.
-Also put on more clothing too.

never heard of 'prepay meters'. We have baseboard heaters (which I hate). We have a wonderful huge rive stone fireplace that heats the house up toasty hot, but we are not using it this year due to the baby and the potential burn hazard. We also all have alaskan down duvets, even the baby

We put the heating on in the evening, from around 7pm - 11pm just before i go to bed.
I do worry that Aymen might get cold at night cos he kicks the covers off, but hes always been fine when hubby checks on him again in the night before he comes to bed.

In the day tho, we're usually out or im cooking/baking or whatever so the ovens on and the downstairs gets pretty warm thankfully.

We normally have our slow cooker going all day making dinner which heats up the flat, and we have the people below us thinking we live in the arctic so we get all their heat :haha:

we have the heating on for maybe 2 hours in the morning and I put it on for about an hour before little man goes too bed too warm his room, I get all my jobs done around the house on a morning then after lunch we close ourselves in the living room and light the open fire

i try not to open the curtains too much :haha: i find a lot of our heat escapes if i do this. it's always better to have curtains that are longer than you need too.

i keep our bedroom and jake's bedroom door shut during the day so it keeps the heat in there.

our gas central heating is on a thermostat so it just comes on when we need it. i find that it's the cheapest way of doing it. :)

We have the heating set for an hour at 6-7am and then 4-6pm just so were snug when we get up and when OH comes home from work.
We've got some door draft blockers at the kitchen door and the front door when I made out of old jeans and stuffed with fibreglass. Just to keep that extra draft out. Also on the front door we've put up a heavy duty curtain to keep heat in :), weve got a mini heater which is in the living room and I put on during the day keeping the living room door close so it's cheaper than warming all the house up when im not in them rooms.

I always shut the curtains :rofl:

Nah really I just put the thermostat up but if money is tight with gas etc then I just wrap up with warm clothes and throw a blanket on x

I shut the blinds as soon as it gets dark. We have the radiators on theromstat but they never come on. We light the masonry heater once a day at the moment and that heats the ground floor throughout the day and night and sometimes we light the wood stove in the kitchen or the fireplace in the lounge if we want a burst of heat.

Thats cos the last few days the weather has got colder but I set my heating to come on for 2 hours in the morning and 3 hours of an evening. Normally during the day we are out and about or if we are in and its cold I will just put it on for a few hours.. Its not been too bad so far. Heating has been on for a few weeks. I have just had double glazing fitted so its a lot warmer.

This flat had a gas fire but the council wouldnt allow me to keep it cos I had two children under the age of 5.

I set the thermostat to 20 and so it comes on and off if it drops below that, if it gets really freezing i turn it up a bit for about 15 mins, thats enough really to make the house quite hot and then it lasts for ages.
We wear socks and a cardigan/jumper/dressing gown, when watching telly at night i sit with a blanket on me and the kids have hot water bottles in bed.
Our last house we had electric storage heaters, it was so cold every year and cost a fortune :( im so glad we have central heating this year but would love an open fire, my parents have one in their living room its so nice sitting round there.

I have double glazing which helps loads.

I have the CH on in 30 min bursts during the day and 1 hour at 10pm and 4am.

V xxx

I set the thermostat to 20 and so it comes on and off if it drops below that, if it gets really freezing i turn it up a bit for about 15 mins, thats enough really to make the house quite hot and then it lasts for ages.
We wear socks and a cardigan/jumper/dressing gown, when watching telly at night i sit with a blanket on me and the kids have hot water bottles in bed.
Our last house we had electric storage heaters, it was so cold every year and cost a fortune :( im so glad we have central heating this year but would love an open fire, my parents have one in their living room its so nice sitting round there.

we used to have storage heaters in one of our old places. they're crap and you're right, they cost a small fortune!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->