How do you keep your house warm?

We use central heat. I set the thermostat at a certain level, and if it goes below say, 72degrees f then it comes on.

We have the central heating on 24/7. The thermostats it set at 16 during the day and 14 at night, but it is in the downstairs hall, which is always a bit cooler than the rest of the house, so our rooms are probably around 17/18 in the day and 15/16 at night. If I am cold I turn the heating up or put the living room electric (but hot air/convection) 'fire' on. I do have the windows open a bit in the day too. Sounds odd, and it certainly doesn't keep me warm, but we have dogs so I feel I need the air to circulate.

I do sometimes have a blanket in the evening if I am cold but everyone else isn't, but I hate wearing too many clothes. The house mostly feels pretty warm.

I keep my heating on at a constant 20 degrees, keep the doors shut to keep each room toasty and put on jumpers.

through the nose. I don't even want to think about heating, our direct debit has gone up to £90. really badly want to move to somewhere with an open fireplace, I love a good fire. electric is just invisible and expensive :rofl:

I set the thermostat to 20 and so it comes on and off if it drops below that, if it gets really freezing i turn it up a bit for about 15 mins, thats enough really to make the house quite hot and then it lasts for ages.
We wear socks and a cardigan/jumper/dressing gown, when watching telly at night i sit with a blanket on me and the kids have hot water bottles in bed.
Our last house we had electric storage heaters, it was so cold every year and cost a fortune :( im so glad we have central heating this year but would love an open fire, my parents have one in their living room its so nice sitting round there.

we used to have storage heaters in one of our old places. they're crap and you're right, they cost a small fortune!

Oh they're evil - I lived in a flat with them for 4 years and never did manage to get them to cooperate - the place was toasty warm when I was out at work, and Siberia when I got home.

We've just had our loft insulation re-done for free (via hubby's work running a scheme - could have had cavity wall done too but this house is so old it doesn't have them) but this house is still bitterly cold mid-afternoon - nice when the heating comes on but it's just that middle of the day bit when I'm home alone and can't justify turning the heating on... if it gets too bad I put the gas fire on to at least keep the lounge liveable (but the tree's next to it at the moment so I can't today) and I just live in the world's fluffiest dressing gown on top of my clothes and jumpers and repeated cups of tea to warm me up.

I have crappy storage heaters too but can only afford to have the one on all the time. Problem is they're Economy 7 so only come on at 12am til 8am - but I think they switch off before then as it's like the Arctic when we get up :(

To help keep warm, I keep all my curtains and doors closed. I have curtains to the floor at my windows in the front room and at my back door and one that runs 3/4 the way down my front door. Me and Josh have plenty of layers of clothes on too. Josh is currently wearing a popper vest(those that fasten between the legs), a tshirt, a long-sleeved top and a jumper, with his jeans socks and slippers. I have a jumper on over the top of my tshirt but am still cold. By tonight I'll end up with my sleeved blanket. We both have extra covers on our beds at night

Oh and I shamelessly use the greyhound as a footwarmer at the bottom of the bed on a night (she's got the warmest belly you'd ever come across)... other dog's been known to get used as a hot water bottle as well - but he snores and I don't think snoring hot water bottles would ever be a marketing hit.

Have always had two double duvets on the bed since hubby's a duvet thief so we have our own during warmer months, then double them up in the winter!

We still have a few windows in this house that are single-glazed we're gradually working to replace (although we need to fix the roof tiles we lost in the wind overnight first - gah!) - even have started asking our parents to pay for a window instead of buying us Xmas presents to get them done! Funnily though - we moved two doors up the street from our old house - both identical buildings both built in the 1920s - this one holds the heat so much better than the old one (and that one had a newer boiler and stuff!)

And if all else fails - hubby works for the energy company so I clip him round the ear and blame his wages and their profits for me being cold and manage to make it all his fault anyway!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->