How do you know??

Moulder86

Fiancé & mum to one
Reaction score
This is probably mostly for mums already but how do you know everything you do about looking after baby when it's here.......

Like how do you know about feeding whilst out (bottle)? Things like making up the bottles? Blankets to be used? You know all that sort of thing.

xx

To be honest i was scared silly about knowing what to do, but once you have a baby it just clicks in! I was never afraid to ask for advice & always followed my instinct. I think there is a mummy mode switch inside that just clicks on.

I just keep thinking about things and how am I supposed to know what to do or how to do things. Sounds silly but I don't really want people telling me I should be doing this or I should be doing that I'm a bit too much of a proud and stubborn person for people to be telling me things.

xx

You will find your own way. Your instincts will kick in and you will learn what works for you and your baby through trial and error. Every baby is going to be different too. I've had a daughter already but I am also prepared for this one to have her own ways. My DD didn't take a pacifier but this one might so I do have one. I plan to breastfeed but I do have a few bottles, a few different kinds of nipples to try and some formula, just in case.

Don't worry. You will figure out what is right for you and your LO. Mother's just know.

buy a book, read online and ask your midwife. I plan on asking lots of questions while in hospital!

Some of it comes naturally I think, some is just experience.........you'll make mistakes and learn as you go. I do plan on asking my family for help when needed! And have been reading books etc....but I don't think anything but experience can prepare you for the real thing!

My doctor's office gave me this free dvd thing, its very cool. Its got different "chapters" on how to hold a baby, how to feed a baby, how to warm a bottle, how to change a diaper, etc etc. Its very cool, its from Nestle. However, I doubt very, very much that watching a dvd is going to help much when it comes down to actually being a mom

Your instinct will click in. However knowing about temperatures and bottle warming, signs of sickness etc are all very good things to enquire about beforehand.

I am lucky, I spent my late teen years working for a foster family, so I got ALOT of practice with many different babies. Newborns, premies, babies who came from drug addicted mothers, babies with mental problems etc. On top of that I work in a hospital. Id actually like to lok into courses for becoming a doula, they are becomming more popular here.

But im very excited to actually experience having the motherly instinct.

You really will be able to learn your babies needs by the sounds of his/her cries. You can usually tell when they need a change, are hungry, want attention just by their sounds. It doesn't take long to figure it out (unless you have a colicky baby, which I never did). You will make mistakes and be worried about a few things, but babies are very forgiving and don't really remember your initial learning phases. I was not too nervous about things when I had my first, except I just couldn't bring myself to cut my babies fingernails! I was so scared that I would cut too much off and hurt her. I was also a bit nervous about the umbilical cord cleaning and bathing at first, but once my second came along, I was pretty confident. You are allowed to be imperfect, and learn as you go. Your baby will love you anyway.

There's so much advice out there, like babies needing one more layer than us but really you'll just know or at least you'll figure it out very quickly.

For bottle feeding when out I normally take a couple of bottles in an insulated bag and just get someone in a cafe to heat them up but some babies will take them at room temperature - especially if you give them that way from day one.

Ok then ladies with babies/kids already, what temp do you do the bottles ? How do you warm/make up your bottles? What do you do about blankets and stuff when sleeping? Or in the pram ect? Probably questions I should ask my mum but kinda don't want to because well I dunno I just don't.

xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->