How do you pick just one name?

spunky84

TTC #4
Reaction score
For a year and a half, DH and I had Zooey Ginevra picked out if we ever had a girl. We found out last weekend that we're having a girl.

Suddenly with that knowledge, I feel unsure. Since then we have settled on Ginevra Donat (Donat being a family name).

But then it seems like since we settled on that, I feel unsure again.

We've also discussed Emma (Leigh) and Maxine (middle name not discussed).

Choosing a name is permanent. One that they will have to live with.

I'm thinking of asking DH if we can just wait until she's born to see which one (if any) fit her. But I didn't realize that there would be so much pressure in naming your child. I was having these feelings before we found out she was a girl, when I was convinced she was a boy. I kept fretting over boy names and how nothing just seemed good enough or scared to commit.

How do you choose? I know people sometimes do wait until LO is born to decide, but even then, what if we can't think of anything that really suits her? I'm scared that she's going to end up nameless! I love the names we are considering, but just so much pressure and not sure in the slightest.

ETA: Also, how do you deal with others input on names? We are no longer discussing names with other people - and have heard all sorts of feedback. Or people suggesting names? My mom's boss decided to make a list for DH and I of names to consider...

what other people say doesn't matter... just ignore them

as for picking a name, i had my kids names picked out from 12 year old the only time i ever felt doubt was right after the birth (when the hormones are surging) you wont be yourself after the birth so dont make any serious decisions then, my son could of ended up called Alex (i dont even like that name and now he is older he is nothing like an Alex)

I would suggest you stick with the name you agreed on previously, hormones and panic play with you head so trust the decision you made before they started to drive you a little pregnancy loopy

I've always had lists of names that I like but when it came to actually naming my first, I found her name in a name book and from that second on, she was Aviana. I tried to change it later on but it just didn't feel right.

This time, I've had a list on my iPhone going over the course of 2-4 years for when I was pregnant again. This little girl will be Rosalia Anna. I knew I liked this name but didn't know if I liked it the most out of my other choices (Sophia, Isabella, Mia). I started saying the names outloud and actually calling her each of the names. I was already leaning towards Rosalia and calling her the name made my decision final. I have the same feeling I did with my first daughter's name. It's her name and it suits her perfectly. Some days I still look at names but can't find one that is more 'her' (if that makes sense). For the middle name, I did ask for opinions and ultimately chose to name her after my grandma. My grandma's name is Anna Lucia and both my daughter's are named after her: Aviana Lucia and Rosalia Anna.

I wouldn't / didn't discuss our baby's name with anyone except DH. I am not concerned with what anyone thinks of her name as it is our baby and I am carrying her and know what best suits her I feel. I didnt want anyone's opinions hindering my own or clouding my judgment. Once we were sure, I have told people who asked and so far no one has said anything rude. Most of the people I tell don't understand the name the first time and ask again lol.

I say try calling your baby by the potential names and see how you feel then. And don't listen to anyone's opinions. Good luck Hun :flower: :hugs:.

I started thinking about Zooey Ginevra again.

I talked to DH about it and he said he still likes it the most, so we decided to stick with it.

I was laying on the couch and he decided to lay on me, which was really uncomfortable so I told him that he was squishing me and Zooey and referring to her as Zooey just really seemed to fit :cloud9:

Zooey is a great name :)

Stick to your guns and go with your heart.

I've always wanted to name my girl after my mom, Lorraine, and DH loved it so it was easy for us.... now a middle name... another story. lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->