How Does An Avid Gardener Avoid Toxoplasmosis?

BeachgalNY

Reaction score
I adore gardening. I love getting my hands in the dirt. Although I usually do wear gloves, due to excema issues, dirt does still get on my hands. It also gets on my arms, feet, legs, and all over my clothes, and usually, if the ground is wet, it leaches onto my skin through my clothes. I spend most of the year out in our garden, but this year, I'm scared, because of the possibility of toxoplasmosis.

There are several cats that visit our yard, and most of them are outside all day. The chances that one of them (or all) are defecating in our yard is very, very high, though I've never seen actual evidence.

I'm having a really hard time trying to figure out how much of a risk of toxoplasmosis my gardening is. Am I endangering our baby when I bend down and pull out a weed without using gloves, even if I wash my hands afterwards? Will getting dirt on me be dangerous? Do I need to invest in a haz mat suit? :winkwink:

I'm a bit lost here. Are there any other avid gardeners out there who know how the disease is transmitted? Is hand washing and showering enough? Do I need to use latex gloves under my gardening gloves (did this the other day because one had a hole in the finger)? Help?

Def use gloves even if it is just for pulling weeds. I currently have toxoplasmosis, I'm not sure how I got it. I'm assuming either by gardening or cats that I am around. It is a very scary thing to have while pregnant..

Def use gloves even if it is just for pulling weeds. I currently have toxoplasmosis, I'm not sure how I got it. I'm assuming either by gardening or cats that I am around. It is a very scary thing to have while pregnant..

Oh, Debbie, I'm so sorry! :hugs: They're able to treat it, right? Have they caught it before it got to your baby? I'll keep my gloves on.

I have had 2 blood tests taken and the 2nd was sent to a special lab in California to try to determine when I first got this. If it was before I got pregnant, that would be the best case scenario. If I have gotten it since becoming pregnant and it has passed to the baby I may have to face terminating the pregnancy. I just got a call today informing me they won't have my results until the 24th! All of this waiting and worrying and crying can't be good for me or baby. PLEASE be careful so you don't have to go through this.

Oh, Debbie, I'm sending tons of prayers your way that you got it before (which means that your baby is very safe, eh?). So sorry you're dealing with this. (((((hugs)))))

If you've been an avid Gardner for years, chances are you've already had toxoplasmosis, and are immune. Just get a blood test at the doctor to check. If you have already been exposed, no worries at all, you are immune to bad effects.

Have you had any blood tests done to confirm whether or not you've contracted toxoplasmosis in the past? I had one done my last pregnancy, and my Doctor said I had already contracted it, possibly as a child.

If not, I would wear gloves, and wash your hands before touching your face, mouth, etc. :thumbup:

Yep glove up! Im a gardener by trade and always wear latex gloves under my work gloves, dont eat or touch your face until washed hands carefully with good anti bacterial soap. Like others say, you can have bloods checked. Hope this helps xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->