how does feeding change once milk comes in?

justkitty

First Time Mum
Reaction score
What can I expect? will she feed for longer periods/shorter periods, go longer between feeds/want to feed more? None of the above?

i think every baby is different :) which i know doesn't help your questions lol

my milk came in a week after DS was born. until then, i was waking him every 2 hours to nurse. yes, i was waking him. he had slight jaundice and also a hematoma on his head which could make jaundice worse, so i wasn't taking any chances.

once my milk came in, i woke him to nurse every 3 hours.

once he was 3 months old he was able to wake on his own to nurse and he woke probably every 4 hours. if he went longer than that i would nurse him while he slept/wake him to nurse.

hope this helped :/

oh, also remember sometimes babies will nurse not for the milk but for the closeness and comfort of your boobs :)

You have to make sure that baby takes nice deep sucks, there are some very good videos that show how it is like https://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/content.php?pagename=videos. When baby is full or is done with first boob she will just unlatch but keep rooting if she is still hungry. Then you burp her and you try the other boob to see if she wants a bit more.

The best advice is finish the first breast first. Don't look at the clock at all. Every baby , every boob and every feed is different, just look at the baby and you will know.

Also don't avoid comfort nursing, it is not a waste of time, and baby is not "using" you in any way. It is absolutely vital that she is on the boob as often as possible even if she is not actively eating because this is how you will establish a good supply. The more she sucks => the more milk you will make. You will notice that she will hang on the boob longer in the evening after 6. Just hold her and let her have as much as she wants.
IMHO most of the babies that apear colicky in th eevening they just want to be on the boob at the time but that doesn't occur to mom, or she afraid she is being used by the baby, something that ignorant MIL will probably claim.

You have to make sure that baby takes nice deep sucks, there are some very good videos that show how it is like https://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/content.php?pagename=videos. When baby is full or is done with first boob she will just unlatch but keep rooting if she is still hungry. Then you burp her and you try the other boob to see if she wants a bit more.

The best advice is finish the first breast first. Don't look at the clock at all. Every baby , every boob and every feed is different, just look at the baby and you will know.

Also don't avoid comfort nursing, it is not a waste of time, and baby is not "using" you in any way. It is absolutely vital that she is on the boob as often as possible even if she is not actively eating because this is how you will establish a good supply. The more she sucks => the more milk you will make. You will notice that she will hang on the boob longer in the evening after 6. Just hold her and let her have as much as she wants.
IMHO most of the babies that apear colicky in th eevening they just want to be on the boob at the time but that doesn't occur to mom, or she afraid she is being used by the baby, something that ignorant MIL will probably claim.

All of the above! Sums up starting to BF perfect!

Especially the bit in bold, I have never been concerned with how often / how long Millie feeds. She drains a boob, burps then other boob (very rarely does she actually eat from two boobs though!)

Just feed feed feed, skin to skin. You're baby will set it's own routine, don't force one.

^This. Great advice! :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->