How does it work in the US?

Thanks a lot!

I am also really assertive and loud and, overall, I usually get things my way. But I just like to make sure I have an idea how the system itself worked here.

For now I'm... peeing on sticks. :haha: A few more days to go, then we'll know if there's a reason for even more intensive research, or if we just need to try harder.

Where in MN are you? I'm in MN as well. Some hospitals are better than others, and there is a birth center in MN too.

I'm in Mankato, you?

I've found info on the birhting center in St Louis Park... but it's kind of far away. I mean, we'll see what happens, once it finally happens. :)

hi hun! i didnt want to read and run. i have had 5 births in the US with 4 different OB's (not including the 2 other ones i had with my 2 mc) and have given birth in 3 different hospitals. have never had anything "pushed" on me. they do tell me the options i have, which i am not offended at hearing. i know i get to choose what i do and dont do. i have always felt i was in very good care. i would tell your OB what your planning birth wise. i have never gotten any response but respect for my choices. i have never had a section and never even heard it mentioned except in my last birth when i was induced for extremely low amnio fluid. this was not a "threat against me" though, they found out the placenta was pulling away and did tell me if baby had a prob with hb it would probably turn into an emergency section. i def didnt want him harmed and would have agreed completely. i did not end up with a section with him though, so none of my 5 have been sectioned.

i guess it must be very different where your at so i hope you end up with the birth experience you want. i have found that i have an idea of what i want to have, but I keep an open mind through the experiences. Not once did things go exactly as i had planned. im not sure birth can be planned to our idea of perfection. i dont want to make it bad by being offended and ready to bite someone before it even gets started either, it will def end up bad that way.
after you have that beautiful baby in your arms i dont see any point in staying disappointed about the birth anyways. the most important part comes after in motherhood imo:cloud9:

Hi!

I agree, in the U.S. it's hard to get away from the 'norm'. Your reasons for not liking our maternity care are the exact reasons that I (I'm in Colorado) will be delivering at a birth center with midwives and have not had but one appointment with an OB.

It *is* possible, and it's women like us who are making natural birth more mainstream in the U.S.!

First off, found this website for you, looks like it has some great resources for natural minded MN moms: https://www.minnesotabirth.com/

That said, the problem in the U.S. is that the women who want a natural birth have to educate themselves and then fight for it. It means making an effort to either choose a midwife and/or birth center, or scouring for an OB that supports natural birth. More difficult than just doing as we're told, but definitely possible :thumbup:

My doula had a beautiful natural delivery in the hospital - she told her OB that no, she would not come in until she was having contractions that were 3-5 minutes apart (despite policy), that she would be refusing IV fluids (despite policy), that she wanted to delay cord clamping (despite policy), and that her husband would catch the baby. She did her research, and had a WONDERFUL delivery in the hospital. Her OB was a rock star and supported those decisions - my doula didn't just pick whatever OB she called first, but did a lot of research.

I'm planning to use a free standing birth center - the midwives are very natural oriented and it's the only one in Colorado - they do exist though! The rooms are like bedrooms, all with squatting bars, pools, etc. and they don't have you come in until active labor was established at home (the biggest mistake moms make in the U.S. is going to L&D in early labor, doctor gets impatient and induces the natural process).

Good luck! ! ! !

A friend of mine lives is Minnesota (Wilmar) and just gave birth a little over a month ago. Her insurance didn't cover homebirths but she went with a doula and had a natural birth in the hospital. There were a few stressful moments when the baby seemed to go into distress but she ended up giving birth all by herself with no drugs. So yes, it is possible :)

Thanks for the info!

I'm all for education and I never agree to anything if I don't know or understand what things are. At the same time, I do understand that I might not be the most down to earth person ever when in labor, so that's why I'm considering bringing a doula and kind of am looking into different options. Hearing other people's experiences with the hospital system helps a lot, too.

I agree with what many of the others have said:

Yes, it is possible to have a natural birth here, without having to be on the defensive. As long as you do all your research, go to natural childbirthing classes (Bradley method, Hypnobabies, etc.) you will feel confident in the choices you make, and shouldn't at all feel threatened by the hospital way of doing things.

Also, interview, interview, interview those doctors until you are happy that one of them is in line with your beliefs--they do exist!

Having a doula there will be a HUGE help, since she is able to be your voice at times when you need that (a supportive husband is a huge asset as well). One little piece of advice I learned in birthing class--wait as long as possible to go to the hospital once you are in labor. Many of the interventions they used are based on timing--so if it seems like your labor is stalled, they want to start doing things to get it going, which just starts a chain of interventions. If you wait longer at home, things will automatically go quicker once you get to the hospital.

Don't stress about this--the natural movement is gaining a lot of steam!!! Awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->