How far would you travel?

Tink_

Reaction score
When you were/are 37 weeks pregnant or more, how far would you be prepared to travel? Especially how far away from a hospital sort of thing?

I've been invited away and just looking for experiences really as I don't want to base my decision on what could just be me being very over anxious! Equally though don't want to make a stupid decision >.<

Thank you x

A couple of hours away, maybe a bit more. But then in the UK you're never THAT far from a hospital.

I guess it depends on the reason for being invited away, if it was my best friend's wedding I'd be there and just birth in whatever hospital if it came to it, if it was just for a weekend which could be done at another time I would stick close to home. I wouldn't go abroad though for anything (albeit most airlines wouldn't fly you anyway). x

I'm pretty keen on my hospital, so I don't plan on traveling more than an hr or so away when I get close to my due date.

Yes, it depends on the occasion. I really love the hospital I'm set up to deliver at so it'd have to be another good hospital near by and a very good reason to travel.
Saying that, we have lovely hospitals in the rocky mountains so I wouldn't hesitate to do a weekend away at whatever point. It'd be the same set up, private room etc. BUT if the hospital were one of the regular in & out situations where you have to wait in the waiting room till you're 6cm dilated and then bunted soon after you deliver, no thanks, I'll pass!

I'm guessing there's less variability in hospitals in the UK - it's all nhs.

I went for a day out which was about 2.5 hours away by train when I was 37 weeks, and to a play 1.5 hours away at 38.5 weeks. This was with my 1st, so I knew I'd more than likely go overdue so although I had my fingers crossed I wouldn't go into labour I knew it wasn't very likely.

Agree with above pp as to whether it's a particular occasion you don't want to miss or whether it's something more casual. It would also depend on how things had gone up until that point - with ds1 and 2 I had literally no problems and would have been happy to go away. With ds3 I had placenta previa so would have wanted to stay closer to home

I think I'm being completely irrational I'm afraid to go anywhere!

Because of my insurance, and since I'm set up at my hospital, I won't go more than about an hour away from there. And that's starting a few weeks ago - I'm not waiting til 37 weeks to be careful.

I travelled upto 500miles up until 33 both times but after stayed within a hour of my chosen hospital just to be safe. But it does depend on occasion ie a weekend away vs a wedding :).

Sorry for the slow reply. I posted and then couldn't get back online, doh.

Thank you for all your replies - it's helpful to hear experiences and thoughts.

I think I'm going to give it a miss because it's not super, super important and although I've been pestered a bit to go, I realised the nearest hospital is around 2 hours from where we would be. Got to love Wales sometimes!! (Well no maternity, only small community hospital)
Pretty sure I won't be seeing baby until 42 weeks anyway but better safe than sorry I'm thinking xx

I delivered spontaneously with my first at 37 weeks with only 2.5 hours of labor. So I chose to stay within an hour of my hospital, especially since this pregnancy is high risk. My last road trip was an hour and a half for my baby shower last weekend, now I'm staying close to home.

I'm not too worried about what hospital but I wouldn't want to be traveling too far, sitting in the car or what ever doesn't appeal. 2hrs from a hospital would worry me. I won't be leaving town now

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->