How in the world do you create a stash!?

cupcaker

Reaction score
I've got all the kit to make a freezer stash. I have the medela swing pump (which I love!) and various storage containers and bags. I've struggled with breastfeeding and have found it painful from the start. Because of this, I've occasionally used the pump to replace a breast feed with a bottle feed. Technically nothing is "wrong" though...I must be just more sensitive than most.

My question now is how the heck do you ladies seem to have any 'spare' milk to store? This evening when baby was asleep I pumped just 2 ounces (but could have gone on- When I do it to replace a breastfeed, it is between 3-5oz.). It expressed really quickly, so I felt confident there was plenty to go at when he woke up. He woke up shortly after and completely freaked out at my breasts. He got frustrated and made silly squealing noises etc. I ended up having to go and grab the milk I had just expressed. I tried once before to express some milk for storage and the same thing happened...seemed like nothing was left for him.

WHEN can you express sucessfully? I was under the impression, from what I had read around, that there would still be enough milk after expressing or rather your breasts would 'catch up' for the baby even if you had quite recently expressed? I dont want some stupid situation like pump extra in the middle of the night just to solve this...surely?

I have people over on Saturday and desperately want at least one feed spare!

Try pumping about an hour after a feed. That is what I did. I took maybe 3 sessions to replace one feed, but got my supply up!!

I pump after the morning feed every morning. LO feeds every 3 hours approx so I pump 40 mins or so after the feed. I used to get an ounce and a half all together with my double electric pump (pump for 10 mins) but now get around 3-5oz. I think my body now produces this extra in the morning and has got used to the 'extra feed' at roughly the same time each day

brill, i'll try that then! i deffo read somewhere that it shouldnt matter to the baby if you very recently expressed, but all logic points to that not being quite right...urgh no idea...read so many conflicting things

brill, i'll try that then! i deffo read somewhere that it shouldnt matter to the baby if you very recently expressed, but all logic points to that not being quite right...urgh no idea...read so many conflicting things

I think that it shouldn't matter to the baby in the sense that baby won't starve - but it might be much harder work for the baby and he might not be very impressed if he is hungry.

I would try pumping after baby has finished feeding in the morning. I only offered one side per feed (except during growth spurts/cluster feeding) so I would pump the other side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->