How long after birth can a newborn go without being fed?

emyandpotato

Reaction score
When my first LO was born he didn't want to feed at all and was really sleepy for a few days. Skin to skin was stopped after half an hour as the midwife said he was getting cold, and that I needed to get showered and move to a ward. Then he was given EBM in a syringe and later a bottle, and never got the hang of latching.

This time we're planning a home birth and hopefully we can stay in bed and have skin to skin for as long as we need. I don't want to go down the route of giving milk in a syringe as I think this hindered us. I just want to know really how long can I wait after birth before LO needs feeding? If they want to go to sleep can we both just sleep for a bit and not worry about the fact they haven't eaten? If they're not interested how long before it's necessary to give EBM?

Any replies would be greatly appreciated as I'm desperate to have a better BF experience this time.

Hi I am not an authority on this at all. Have you chatted to midwives or breastfeeding counsellor? When I had my first I was told not to worry to start with as they have enough reserves for the first day? My first was really sleepy and breast feeding did not work, I did skin to skin straight away with her for a few hours and she was never interested in BF. I did the same with my second and she fed straight away. Maybe you could get a breastfeeding counsellor to come to your house if you struggle. Best of luck x

I had my LO at a virthing center which was basically like home birth without cleaning up the mess. The goal of the midwives there was to allow mom and baby time to bond, not move her off to a recovery ward. We had skin to skin while the wildlife stitched up my first degree tear, then I tried to get my baby to latch and feed. The goal there again was bonding more than anything, and the reason she had me wait u til after she was done wa aso that I could relax. I know that after a couple of hours, they get very tired and just want to sleep, so my goal was to get a first feeding in before that. I gave him a little more after we both had a nap. I was home after a few more hours. I know that feedings were anything but regular in that first day, and it was a struggle to wake him to eat in the middle of the night. I was worried, but the midwife reassured me the next day that it was normal for them to be so sleepy and to feed him when I could. I figured the best thing was for me to not stress out about it. We would both figure it out.

I had my LO at a virthing center which was basically like home birth without cleaning up the mess. The goal of the midwives there was to allow mom and baby time to bond, not move her off to a recovery ward. We had skin to skin while the wildlife stitched up my first degree tear, then I tried to get my baby to latch and feed. The goal there again was bonding more than anything, and the reason she had me wait u til after she was done wa aso that I could relax. I know that after a couple of hours, they get very tired and just want to sleep, so my goal was to get a first feeding in before that. I gave him a little more after we both had a nap. I was home after a few more hours. I know that feedings were anything but regular in that first day, and it was a struggle to wake him to eat in the middle of the night. I was worried, but the midwife reassured me the next day that it was normal for them to be so sleepy and to feed him when I could. I figured the best thing was for me to not stress out about it. We would both figure it out.

Thanks. I tried to feed LO straight away and he just wouldn't I kept trying for the first couple of days and he wasn't interested at all. At the end of the first day- I think?- they gave him a bottle of EBM. We were in hospital though so 1) I was not allowed to sleep AT ALL as I was on a packed and boiling ward and 2) we weren't allowed any more skin to skin or to bed share which may have made a difference. This time I don't want to be pressured in to giving EBM if it's going to hinder things again but I don't know how long is too long to wait?

Hi I am not an authority on this at all. Have you chatted to midwives or breastfeeding counsellor? When I had my first I was told not to worry to start with as they have enough reserves for the first day? My first was really sleepy and breast feeding did not work, I did skin to skin straight away with her for a few hours and she was never interested in BF. I did the same with my second and she fed straight away. Maybe you could get a breastfeeding counsellor to come to your house if you struggle. Best of luck x

Not yet had a chance to mention it to my MW as only met her briefly. The problem is that last time my midwifes had zero clue and gave me a lot of conflicting and plain incorrect advice, so I was hoping to have some idea before being bullied in to something by midwives that might not be correct. I am hoping to get a BF counsellor but not sure how without going private? With my last LO I waited eight weeks to see one, which obviously is no good!

My first baby wasn't a good start to bf either. He was in distress during the birth and when he came out he didn't latch. I just lay there with him on me, not even realising I was supposed to be feeding him. Then they took me to theatre to stitch my tear so we were separated then too. I think it was a good 3-4 hours before we even attempted a feed, which looking back is pretty terrible. I don't imagine he got much at all those first few days as he had a tongue tie and they kept forcing bottles of formula on us.
I have always been told they need one good feed in 24 hours, like someone else said they have reserves etc. my son didn't do well with this as his distress during the birth had caused him to use up all his reserves so his blood sugars dropped which is why they forced the formula.
I would just keep trying every 2-3 hours like they tell you, or more if baby is interested and then they'll at least get something.
To give you some hope, my second birth was textbook and he took to bf like a dream. No problems at all.

My first was quite sleepy and didn't want to latch at first. I vaguely recall them saying I had about 6 hours before I needed to feed him but I'm not sure exactly. I know the first feed ended up being hand expressed and syringe feed. He did have a low temp so they took his glucose levels but they were ok.

My 2nd was born a home and just latched straight away and fed ever two hours for the next few days (I don't think he lost any of his birth weight!). It was so much different and easier the 2nd time!

Hopefully your 2nd is like mine was but good idea to be prepared :)

My first latched ok but it was two hours before we saw each other, as I was in theatre. I was under general and very ill hence the long wait. It was fine.

I also managed to bedshare the second time around at hospital (didn't try the first time as was in intensive care). I was trying to be sneaky but the midwives were on to me and just kept us in a bed near the desk watching us sleep, then gave us a side sleeper cot. Think we're probably lucky with our hospital.

IF you can get that first feed in after birth you don't have to worry quite so much if the next few feeds don't happen or are very short. Without that initial feed there is a bit more pressure to get them to feed by the two hour mark, but there is no way to force it. I think home birth with longer skin to skin is an excellent idea and just remember no two babies are exactly the same so you may have nothing to worry about.

If you mention your desires and concerns to the midwife now it will give her time to do her research too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->