How long after giving birth can I start getting fit?

Snowball

Resident badass
Reaction score
I put on 3 stone when pregnant with Ozzie. I've lost 2 stone of it since but I really want to shift the extra stone as quickly as possible so I can get back into my own clothes.

After I had my first son I had to lose weight quickly because I was getting married 4 months later and I lost it all by only eating 1 meal a day for 6 weeks but I wasn't breastfeeding then and during that time I was miserable.

I'm hoping to breastfeed Ozzie for aslong as I can so i know cutting meals is out of the question so I'm going to start getting fit. I want to do brisk walks and lots of sit ups, that sort of thing. Also cutting on eating the crap.

How long after giving birth is it till I can start doing that? Obviously the healthy eating is starting now :lol:

I think 6 weeks is the usual reccomended time before starting any physical ways of getting fit.

After a regular vaginal birth, 6-8 weeks is recommended. It is different for complicated vaginals/c-sections.

Don't get in the habit of starving your body (ie. eating only once per day). Do things right - eat a healthy diet, proper amounts, and let your body lose the weight naturally. Exercise your entire body - not just situps. A good full body strength training program will help you lose overall bodyfat.

Remember, "abs are made in the kitchen". Situps are one of the biggest myths of female strength training - the belly fat area is only reduced through proper diet, not situps. A 120lb woman with good lean muscle mass looks 1,000,000x better than a 110lb woman with no muscle (lanky).

Just my 2 cents, having been in fitness and strength training for 5+ years.

As stated above, 6 weeks for normal & its also the same for c-section. However, there's no way I would have been doing situps after a c-section, even though I was cleared to do whatever. I started with cardio. If you had a c-section, you're going to find it EXTREMELY hard to do anything that involves your lower abs. You have no strength left because they cut through the muscle. I couldn't even lift my legs in the air while lying down after I had mine. Take it easy!!

6 weeks, and you must have a post natal check first.

If you are BFing, you also cannot BF for up to 2 hours after exercise due to the build-up of lactic acid in your system.

I wouldn't worry about loads of sit ups..... that wont help you lose weight.
Brisk walks contracting your abs is just as good.It will tone legs, bum and core strength as well as burning calories.

As mentioned above, eating one meal a day will screw up your metabolism long term. Stick to 3 healthy low fat meals a day, snack on fruit etc. You shouldn't really go below 1500 kcals (that's why you were so miserable before, hun.. you were starving!!!)

as the old saying goes... 9 months on , 9 months off.

good luck
Rachael
xxx

I'm not dropping to one meal a day again. When I did it I tried substituting food with vitamins (co enzyme Q10, I think I took a lot of that?). Anyway, that was all in the excietment of getting married, especially as my DH only weighs 8 1/2 stone and he makes most people look huge!:wacko:

I'll wait till after my post natal till I start getting fit. I haven't really done any major activities since I quit my job last year so it's going to be a struggle I think:blush:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->