How long after having a sweep did you go into labour?

baileybubs

Reaction score
Hi there,

I know that a sweep does not mean you will go into labour but for those of you who it did work for I am just wondering how quickly it had any effect?

I had one this morning and apparently my membranes are bulging and I am 2cm plus little man is really really low so the doctor thinks it may happen soon. I dont want to get my hopes up but just interested to know.

TIA

I had a sweep with my second at 40+2 and 40+5. At the second one I was 2-3cm and bulging waters. Sweep was at 11am. Lots plug all day. Next day had loads and loads of Braxton hicks. Then painful contractions started at 7pm. Born 11pm so 36 hours after my sweep.

Thabks hun thats giving me a bit more hope, its been 29 hours now and although I have had an increase in intenisty of BH and frequency it all seems to fizzle out. I am having more discharge that is possibly bits of plug coz its a little snotty but its not a lot.
I'm getting more fed up coz I really wanted to try vbac but my BP is still high and I just know they will end up making me go in on Monday for monitoring and might suggest c section then. So I am hoping and praying that this weekend it happens otherwise I dont think my vbac is gonna happen :-( I know its not the end of the world but I want more kids, ideally 4 and c sections can affect that.

Ask for another sweep. I insisted on the second one and so glad I did as that's the one that worked. I was vbac too so I know all about wanting to avoid a section x

FX this is the start of things for you!

I had a sweep on the Monday pm although I was already having cramps and strong BH's. I was having regular contractions by the following evening and my DD was born at 7am on the Wednesday morning.

Well it's been 2 days for me now so I don't think it's helped. I have been losing some plug but nothing else new. I've had BH and pains for the last week now and it's driving me bonkers now coz it keeps stopping and starting.
Hopefully I can get another sweep in the week.

I just wanted to add to this if anyone else ever reads it that I have now had 3 sweeps and although the 2nd and 3rd started contractions within 3 hours they all fizzled out and I am still pregnant at 41+3. So dont pin all hopes on sweeps working lol!!
I am having one last sweep today as a last ditch attempt to evict little man before talks of possibly breaking waters then if that doesnt work its another c section for me!

Sorry the sweeps haven't given you results yet, baileybubs. Fingers crossed that this one is productive!

So far nothing lol, so perhaps not 4th times a charm. How are you Amalee? Still waiting?

Still waiting, yup. My cervix was closed and soft on Wednesday, so no option of a sweep for me. I'm going in Monday (if baby still hasn't come) for another NST and U/S, and hopefully they'll be able to do a sweep by then. Scheduling an induction for Thurs :(

Aw I hope your cervix opens by then and you can get a sweep. They may not work for me but they seem to help a lot for others so maybe it can be that kick start for you!

I had to have 2, I was 2-3cm both times and she was quite rough 2nd time. Waters broke following day xx

Good luck Bailey, I've been watching the boards for updates and I've everything crossed for you and your LO this weekend. Please keep us updated!

Aw thanks mrs HM! I'm going in to have my waters broke tomorrow so hopefully that works otherwise I will be having another c section. But either way he should be here by tomorrow night or Monday morning latest!

Well at least you'll get to meet that baby soon! Fx for you that breaking your waters gets things moving. Hope you have a restful night.

I had two sweeps. The first was at 41+4 and although I was favourable, it didn't work. I didn't even spot or get any real cramps. My second sweep was at 41+6 and at this point I was 2cm dilated. This one felt a lot more uncomfortable and I was spotting for the rest of the day. I went into labour overnight and LO was born the next evening.

Hope baby is here now baileybubs!! I know how it feels being 2 weeks over, it is the longest time EVER :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->