How long after levels drop does miscarriage happen

rockstarlove9

Reaction score
So I found out on wednesday that I am having a miscarriage. A little background with this one for those who care: I found out I was pregnant last saturday when i gotta a BFP at a little over a week late for af. I started spotting on monday and went into shear panic mode. They gave me an ultrasound and couldnt find anything according to ff I was 5w5d but since my periods are irregular that date could have been off. I was pretty sure i didnt implant until 14dpo (the day af was due because I had some spotting a couple hours that day that just disappeared). They told me after the ultrasound they didnt see evidence of pregnancy and that i was probably just to early and then they sent me for a quantitative hcg. My levels came back at 2537 I was ecstatic and even more scared. The midwife examined me and said that my cervix was closed. They told me to do a repeat blood level in 48 hrs. The day before my repeat I noticed my boobs hurt less but I was still having morning sickness but I assumed the worse. The repeat levels came back at 908 the nurses called me and told me my pregnancy wasnt viable and to let it pass naturally. I balled my eyes out and am starting to come to terms with that. But then this morning when I woke up my boobs were even more swollen than previously and they hurt really bad. Is it possible that my baby is fighting or is this just wishful thinking and im setting myself up for disappointment. im not scheduled to get my levels checked again until wednesday so now im just going on feeling. i know better than to take a pregnancy test because i know it will probably still come back positive. I havent had any cramping just a dull back ache and ive only been spotting brown blood im just nervous and need some guidance and support.

I am so sorry you are going through this. I think everyone's body is different, so while some miscarry quickly, others take weeks. It is totally natural to be hoping for a miracle, for baby to fight and make it.

As for your question regarding pregnancy symptoms, I had severe morning sickness for 4-5 weeks after we knew baby was not living, but like I said, everyone's body is different.

:hugs:

It's very possible (and totally normal) to have a resurgence of pregnancy symptoms even while you are miscarrying. I've had it happen with many of my miscarriages. Just another one of the extremely sucky parts of having a loss. Unfortunately, when you've had such a drastic drop in hCG, it's very likely things are not continuing at this point.

As for how long it will take for your hCG to drop completely, that depends on your body. I've had 10 miscarriages and no two have been the same. I've had a negative hpt within 9 days (from first day of bleeding) and I've had to wait up to 3 weeks for my blood tests to go negative. Also, some women will start cycling normally right away and may get their next period on time or just a few days delayed but some women end up having a longer wait before their first AF post loss. For me personally, AF has always appeared about 4-5 weeks after my tests go negative but not everyone is like that.

Thanks ladies. This is my third miscarriage and i guess i never realized they could all be different. The pain was the same i mean sometimes a little more severe than others. Im just wondering when they would drop completely because I definitely passed the sac and a smaller piece of tissue this past weekend but the hpts are still positive within 30 secs, I just figured if my levels dropped from 2537 to 908 in two days that they would be for sure down to 0 or at least negative by this point. It just breaks my heart seeing the bfp knowing that my jelly bean isnt in there anymore. I get my hcg levels tested tomorrow I was hoping they would fall below zero but with the test so blatently postivie today im sure they wont be

HCG is a weird hormone and your levels can do crazy things. It's possible your levels are dropping steadily but it's not showing up on the hpts that way because the level of hCG in your urine can vary SO much from that in your blood stream. It's also possible you had a really quick drop initially and now it's taking it's sweet old time dropping from here. Or it could drop, plateau, drop, level off, etc. It really does vary from loss to loss. Hopefully your hpts will go negative fairly quickly and you can fully heal from this. :hugs:

And just to prove that hCG levels are crazy after a miscarriage, I had a D&C for a 14 week loss a few years ago and my hCG levels were in the thousands when the baby's heart stopped. Nine days after the surgery (which was a week after the hb stopped), my hpts were bfn. Yet my 8 week blighted ovums tend to take 2 weeks for my hCG to drop and those have hCG numbers in the low hundreds usually. Go figure, hey?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->