How long before TTC should I start my prenatal vitamins

Kmx

Reaction score
My OH and I have decided to possibly move our TTC date forward. One thing that stops me is that I haven't started taking any prenatal vitamins. I was planning on starting soon and to have been taken them for about 3 months before TTC. if we move if forward it may only possibly be a month or so that I would be taken vitamins for.

What are the official guidelines?

P.s. My son was "unplanned" so I didn't start my pregnancy vitamins until 4 weeks pregnant and he was fine and I know that chances are everything would be fine anyway... But I'd just like to know I have done everything I can for the babies health and if waiting 3 months so that I have been taken vitamins for the recommended time then that's what I would like to do.

So, please help! How long is enough to know if got enough vitamins in my system? How long before TTC is everyone else starting vitamins?

A few people told me 1 month before. So I started 1 month before we were planning to TTC. 2 months later I am still taking them, and don't know if I will ever stop. (TTC in July, finally!) So many benefits. IMO, it's never too early! I take an iron-free one, but take a vitamin with iron about twice a week.

With DD I didn't start taking them until after I got a positive test. This time around I haven't stopped taking them daily since I had her, since they're easier on my stomach than regular multi-vitamins.

I've heard between 1-3 months. :flower:

I thought it was 3 months for folic acid as it needs to build up in your system because it's fat soluble. Most other vitamins are water soluble so act immediately.

I started in April, WTT until August. I've read that up to a year can be good, but I don't think that's an actual goal (more of a "hey, can't hurt!" approach. Beforehand is great, but if it's not possible don't worry too much about it and do what you can do ☺

There is some evidence to show that 6 months is most ideal, but so long as you were taking them before you started to TTC, so maybe like a month, I wouldn't let that postpone when you TTC.

Thanks all! I'm hoping to hold off until September time but if it happened sooner I'd be happy. Ideally in a perfect world it would be good for a few reasons to wait for a few months. But both myself and OH are getting more impatient and more careless with preventing. But I will be aiming to wait til September until officially trying.

I'm wondering the same thing! I'm already taking a good regular multi with folic acid daily - but I definitely want to switch to prenatal TTC with a higher folic amount. Debating when to make the switch because I really love the multi I'm on now.

My doctor told me 6 months before TTC. We will be TTC in March so I'll start prenatals in September.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->