how long did you all use the pre-made milk for?

lauralou25

mummy to 2 boys xx
Reaction score
Hi ladies the midwifes etc say to use the pre made milk for 4-6 weeks I know they say because its sterile etc but its bloody expensive how long did u use them for? I used the tin for my son and he turned out fine???

As long as your baby was full term and has no health issues I would say its fine to use powder from day one as long as it is prepared correctly. Pre-made cartons are sterile and are the better choice over powder if your baby was pre-term or prone to infections xx

Thank you guys yes he was 40 weeks exactly and a healthy 9lbs lol :)

I went onto powdered after about a week. As you say, its way too expensive to use cartons regularly, I just keep a few for days out etc.

J x

I used powder from about 4 days old, I only used per made bottles from the hospital til then that they gave me and a couple cartoons, tbh I used aptimal an they don't do big cartons if they did I would of used it for longer

i have 3 children and never been told i had to use the pre made cartons :shrug: i no the powder is not sterile but thats why you add it to boiling water. all my children have been fine. plus not all milk comes in pre made cartons

we used powder form week 2 when i stopped breast feeding. was never told not to

I was told to use the sterile, pre-made bottles for the first 4 weeks too but like you said, it's bloody expensive and each pack only lasts about 2-3 days! So I only use them for night time feeds now and use the powder for daytime feeds. x

Hi, I used powdered milk from birth because nobody said not to and I only used the cartons when going out. Now though I just bring a chilled bottle.

I used powder when I came out of hospital so 48 hours!

Well I made the mistake of using it for too long. For safety's sake (and speed and convenience I must admit) I didn't try to switch until my dd was 3 months old. I guess by that aged she was too clued up and refused to drink the powder!

Have to say though, hated the extra expense but loved the convenience.

Thanks ladies he seems fine and settled on powder but gonna have to tell a porkie tomorrow health visitor is coming and i know they will moan has they like them to be on pre-made for 4-6 weeks

I don't think the pre-made bottles were even available in the shops when Amy was born, but we started with powder from the start - apart from that very first middle of the night switch from BF when we used the emergency carton I had bought.

I'm still using the premade cartons at nearly 4 months.

I'm to scared to use the powder incase I make it up wrong. :blush:

I'd be interested in knowing what area you're in if the midwives and HVs are advising pre-made formula. It seems a bit overkill for a perfectly healthy baby and I've never heard of anyone being advised that before. We just went straight to powder and only have a few cartons in for convenience in case we're caught unawares. We've never been told that they shouldn't be on powdered milk until a certain age - it's perfectly safe if you make it up correctly, so it seems like pointless advice!

I only used the cartons whilst i was in hospital, then went straight to the tin x

I'd actually tell your HV the truth and then ask where does it say to use pre-made cartons for 4-6 weeks? Nowhere. It does say that formula isn't sterile but then you make it up correctly and there isn't a problem-them telling mums to use cartons for 4-6 weeks can only lead to many mums being unable to afford to do that but being afraid to ask how to make up the powder correctly; leading to underfeeding or overfeeding or making the formula with water that isn't as hot as it should be. I find that a lot of HVs are reading from a 'crib sheet' of guidelines and I am not even sure where they get them from half the time; because they are not government guidelines. My HV was literally reading out all the questions she was asking me; from a piece of paper and she didn't seem sure what the 'right' answers to them was supposed to be! xx

I'd actually tell your HV the truth and then ask where does it say to use pre-made cartons for 4-6 weeks? Nowhere. It does say that formula isn't sterile but then you make it up correctly and there isn't a problem-them telling mums to use cartons for 4-6 weeks can only lead to many mums being unable to afford to do that but being afraid to ask how to make up the powder correctly; leading to underfeeding or overfeeding or making the formula with water that isn't as hot as it should be. I find that a lot of HVs are reading from a 'crib sheet' of guidelines and I am not even sure where they get them from half the time; because they are not government guidelines. My HV was literally reading out all the questions she was asking me; from a piece of paper and she didn't seem sure what the 'right' answers to them was supposed to be! xx

WSS - I don't have much time for HVs. They seem to think babies are text books and I find a lot of their advice to be completely impractical. Mine is obsessed with LO having hiccoughs - I can't work out why.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->