How long did you breastfeed for?

I only exclusively nursed my son for 3 weeks before I began supplementing. By 3 months we were done nursing and he was solely on formula.

I nursed my daughter for 28 months (I say 2.5 years because it's just easier). I won't lie- the first 12 weeks were the hardest. I wanted to give up SO many times because all I did was nurse around the clock. I was miserable...but I clung to the hope that it would get better, like so many mamas promised me it would if I just stuck it out a bit longer.

It did. Around 3 months of age, she suddenly stopped needing to nurse all day long. She still ate much more frequently than my son did, but it was doable. I didn't feel bound to the couch any longer.

I do NOT feel closer bonded to her over my son, though. Just because I formula fed my son doesn't mean that I wasn't just as close to him. I still cuddled my boy when he ate.. I never just gave him a bottle to feed himself because that time, with him, was deeply cherished.

I want to tell you to stick it out a few more weeks. Once you get over this hurdle, you may be surprised. But if not? Don't feel any remorse. You gave it a good shot and SOME breast milk is better than no breast milk. <3

Started combi-feeding sometime after 4 months, and combi-feeding was the end of bf'ing for nutrition for us...she wants boobie only when she's sleepy. Even though I chose "bf-friendly" bottles, she just doesn't want boob anymore when she's hungry, but will want it when she's sleepy/tired and it is the fastest thing that helps her sleep. However, I do think she will be off the boob completely soon. I won't really get into how this all happened as we ebf till 4 months, but it was mostly "going with my gut" based on all information I had in front of me.

I didn't love bf'ing as I thought I would also and it was very painful until 3 months. The funny thing is, her latch improved SO much now that she is only nursing shortly once a day and getting bottles the rest of the time.

I don't know why they don't tell new mums that the latch gets better when they get bigger - their mouth is bigger and they have better control of their head and just know what to do.

If you want to continue you could try increasing your supply with meds like domperidone etc, a morning feed when you're most full could jump start it again. Don't want to push you, just get a sense you're not ready to fully stop.

Thank you. I'm slowly trying to increase BF'ing frequency again. I was surprised she actually accepted without crying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->