How long did you take pain medication for?

BintUmmi

Reaction score
As the title says, how long did you take your pain medication for once you were home from the hospital?

I stopped about a week ago, but now eleven days on I`m getting really sharp pains just above the left end of my stitch. I am wondering if I should still be taking pain killers?

One of the reasons why I stopped was because I am breastfeeding and was worried it might go through my milk to my daughter. Any breastfeeding csection mums able to share their experience?

Many thanks.

I took mine for at least four weeks but my consultant made me take them for longer because I had a uterine tear & my daughter was in hospital so I was on my feet a lot. I certainly noticed if I didn't take them, it was absolute agony.

Maybe try taking paracetamol/ibuprofen before you try anything stronger? :hugs:

I took 2 x paracetamol and 1 x diclofenac 2-3 times a day for about four weeks, I think - I didn't really need them towards the end but took then anyway, just in case.

I was reassured in the hospital that the pain meds do not interfere with BF - I had morphine initially and then codeine, paracetamol and diclofenac as needed while I was in hospital (8 days) so don't worry about that - if you need them, take them!

I was on codeine for 2-3 weeks after my emcs. Like someone else said, take them if you need them.

I took hydrocodone 5mg for a week then i ran out also took ibuprofen 800mg i bf. Was still on pain. I aam just now feeling ok.

I took the hospital stuff for about 10 days and then switched over to Solpadeine (Tylenol with codeine); to be honest, when I had my first AF (mild), it was okay, but my second (last week) was pretty bad, so needed the painkillers -- I'd recommend asking your doctor for whatever meds you can take with breastfeeding (I FF) as the pain can get bad before you know it and it's better to take something rather than 'brave it out', etc.

best wishes

I am on day 6 and have barely any pain but I would keep taking some just in case. The med they prescribed would have been safe to take whilst bf so just get some more, see your gp maybe?

I took my pain meds for about 3 weeks. Unfortunatley I'm alergic to diclofenic so could only take paracetamol and codeine. I was in alot of pain after my c section. The worst pain was like a red hot poker slicing through my scar and also a really horrible burning pain on one side. The burning pain was brought on worst by walking and standing. x

I was told by my Midwife and Health Visitor that I was expecting to much too soon. I really didn't expect to be in sooo much pain! xx

Also wanted to add that I feel I have a high pain threshold. With my first daughter I didn't get into hospital until I was 9cm dilated, this section really knocked me for six.

I think if you need them take them. I was left without pain relief for 11 hours the day after the c-section and was ok. 2 days after the c-section when I went home I stopped taking regular pain relief as I didnt need it and it made me sleepy. Deffo give it a try and see if it helps ease it.

Congrats on your lo!!!

xx

I took my pain meds for about a week, then just some tylenol after. Then again, I have a high pain tolerance. I got the same pain you're talking about the sharp pain on the end of the stitch. Is it like a burn when you stand up to fast or cough? My doc told me it was the nerves coming together and that was where that pain was coming from. I was finally able to move around with no worriesof a sudden pain at about 5-6 weeks. Good luck! I hope your pain goes away!!

that sounds like it could be what the pain is.

Thank you all for your replies. It`s so hard to know what to expect and whats normal for recovery as everything I`ve read about recovery, especially immediately post op has been completely different to my experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->