how long do I let him sleep?

labmommy

Reaction score
J is 3.5 months old, 3 weeks adjusted. My 9 lb 29 weeker just started skipping a feed/extending one feeding a night. His 930pm bottle seems to take him almost 5 hrs. Every other bottle throughout the day is only 3 or 3.5 tops and he screams starvation. This is all pumped breastmilk. The ped. Says to treat him like a 3.5 m old not a nicu patient and that he can sleep up to 5 or so hrs without worry. The NP at the nicu followup appt last week said hell no. She said wake him up if its been just about 4 hrs between feedings. What do we do?I know he's a size for adjusted age but when he sleeps he grows right?

If hes feeding well during the day id say let him sleep. You might find he will start to take slightly more at his other feeds. As-long as hes still taking the same amount over the course of the day its fine.

We were told no more than 4 hours until there was continued weight gain. We waited until about 2 months adjusted before we stopped setting the alarm clock. I think it is dependent on the weight tbh. We were discharged at about 7lb something

Thanks girls. He's been gaining well. The nicu follow up was a month after discharge. He gained just over a pound and weighed 8 lb 12 oz, even with severe reflux issues. They were very happy with everything but made me feel bad about him sleeping one feed every night. Not like I trained him to do it or something! Lol then the ped rejoices hearing about the sleep! Argh!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->