How long do we need to stay on baby rice?

steph1505

Reaction score
I started Brandon on baby rice yesterday and I was just wondering how long it is before I can start to give him pureed carrots etc?!

The reason I ask is because my HV has told me as soon as I want, just basically when I think Brandon is ready for it! But my SIL's HV has told her u need to do baby rice at one meal for a month, then two meals at a month, then u can move onto purees...which would mean Brandon would be 7 months before he started on purees! I dont think this is right...is it??

Thanks x x x

i was wondering this too? my friend did babyrice for 2 weeks, then baby porridge aswell, for 2 weeks then done the jars for tea?

It really is so confusing!! :( Just when u think ur doin great with being a mum...then u need to start something new!! x x x

I started Alex on baby rice about 2 weeks ago and she hated it, so I left it a few days thinking of doing baby led weaning, but then tried her on purees a week ago and she adores them

Thanks so much for gettin back 2 me!! Im glad to know that we dont need to stay on baby rice for ages :D x x x

You actually don't even have to do baby rice, so there is no reason to stay on a certain amount of time. I would always wait 3-4 days between new foods just to make sure they didn't have a reaction but that was it.

I started Seren on babyrice, and she had it for 1-2 weeks, basically until she has happy to eat it, and finish it a couple of times. Then after that I moved onto baby porridge. Once she was established at breakfast time, that's when I moved onto lunch time and I would give her pureed veggies (single ones at first then combinations later on)... Seren was difficult to get to eat the pureed veg so I'd mix a bit of baby rice into it, then gradually reduce the amount as time went on x

My hv siad I didn't need to start on baby rice but fruit and veg aswell my lo doesn't really like the baby rice but loves other food but only rakes it from my finger!! He is now 5months so I guess its up to you really I have been giving him one meal a day for the past week

Thanks so much everyone! I think I'll keep him on baby rice until hes used to eating!! Then I'll get him moved onto other things! Thanks so much :D x x x

how mant spoons of baby rice are you all giving to your little ones?? any help would be greatful

I started Andrew on just baby rice for one week, and then started adding individual purees to the rice (so that I could tell if he didn't like a specific flavour).

Re the question about how much, I too am not sure if I was giving enough! Andrew is about half the size of a baby normally weaning (just 8lb), for the first week we gave just one teaspoon of the dry rice powder mixed up with milk. It certainly wasn't too much.

Now he's on 3 small ice-cubes of puree, and he does tend to eat it all. I don't know whether it's worth doing more, when babies get full do they simply clamp up and refuse to eat? Or will they keep opening mouth, swallowing - and eventually sick it back if its too much? (coz I want to avoid the latter!)

how mant spoons of baby rice are you all giving to your little ones?? any help would be greatful

Ive been giving him one teaspoon of the rice powder mixed in with his baby milk! He doesnt finish this so I definitely dont think its too much! Brandon clamps his mouth down after about 2 spoonfuls but I think thats because he doesnt like it...hes always been a total muncher!!

Everyone just keeps tellin me not to go onto vegetable purees until he knows how to take from a spoon, but I want to...I think he will like it better! x x x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->