How long does a virus last??

T

TashaAndBump

Anna has been ill for 2 weeks now :( How long will she have this coughy cold?

My poor princess :cry:

It depends on her immune system hun , When BF they usually dont last long at all but when were not it can last for 1 month sometimes ..

You can check to see if you have any homiopathic stuff there for babies , I have some here that works great

She is breastfed... but I don't have the best immune system to pass down to her in the first place - I'm always getting ill myself! :dohh:

I hope she gets better soon :(

It could be that her immune system was compromised with the first virus, and she's gotten another infection since then. This is the time of year when things really go around (and early spring too).
:hug:

Make sure she stays hydrated, I always steam my babies every night when they are croupy-coughing... (sit with them in the steamy bathroom for 15-20 minutes). If it's bad I might do this 2 or three times a day. If its very dry in your environment you may consider getting a cool mist vaporizer or humidifier for your home to help put moisture back in the air. That will help her cough a lot.

Or you can just run a pot of water near boiling on the stove... just make sure you've got water in there all the time! :)

Keep her breastfeeding, the sucking will help keep her ears clear of drainage from her sinuses etc. too so she can avoid ear infections.

Is her alert or lethargic, does she run fever with this?

If she's alert adn still hungry, I dont' worry as much. They're just trying to get on with life in the midst of not feeling well.

It's when the child doesn't feel good at all and they're lethargic, and pale, and may run a fever that I start to really watch... also remember fever is the body's way of burning the bad thing out of our system, so I try to let a fever especially a low grade one go without medicating. (Unless baby needs to rest - then I'll give something to help them feel comfortable enough to sleep a bit).

Hang in there... :hug:

Thanks Margerle - How do you know all these things??? lol You're like the fountain of knowledge re-all-things-baby hahaha

I'm steaming her every night before bed (after her shower)... and I have been giving her calpol when her fever gets too high but will try leaving it from now to see if it burns out this virus... Umm.... The doctor told me to give her water instead of milk because she was bringing the milk up, but I've been giving her water AND milk because booby is her only real comfort and I can't not give it to her when she is ill - I'm relieved to hear it's probably doing more good than harm! ... She was very lethargic and unlike herself for a few weeks, but I am now putting that down to the thrush that she has, as since I managed to get some treatment for that she seems much more like herself and much less distressed :) I'm putting olbas oil on her pillow at night to keep her sinuses clear at night time and that seams to be helping a lot...

I just hope she gets better soon... the cough sounds really chesty and painful and the phlegm / bile she is bringing up looks like a lot of hard work for her...

Oh well, thank you for your input. I'm less worried about her now as she has much more colour to her cheeks and seems a lot more lively since treating the thrush she's had :)

Thanks for your replies :hug: xx

Well done on the steaming!

I would try letting a fever run it's course too. Especially if Anna doesn't seem extremely bothered by it. I think in the long run it might help. Like you said though, watch the temp and don't let it get too high too long.

Breastmilk is sometimes considered by some docs as "dairy" like formula... Breastmilk is NOT dairy, and is as good or better than water for sick babies. For the comfort, for the antibodies, and for the nutrition value. That she's spitting up a bit is normal, if she's got some post nasal drip her cough might be triggering her gag reflex a bit.

Tasha is there a place you can get live probiotic capsules? Like a good healthfood store near you? They are little capsules of powder like stuff that looks like a regular health supplement or vitamin capsule. Inside are live probiotic cultures. I've sprinkled baby's diaper area with the insides of these capsules.

Probiotics are the good bacteria of our bodies... in our intestines and in female reproductive tracts :blush: Keeps everything neutralized and healthy. Sometimes we get "too clean" down there and loose our good bacteria. It takes a little bit for that good stuff to build back up so taking a good probiotic and sprinkling a little in her diaper may help get things started.

You can also eat good whole organic yogurt to help build up the probiotics.

If it's thrush, you'll want to make sure you are staying clear too... just as with sexual partners you can exchange a thrush infection between you and your breastfeeding baby pretty easily.

There is also a product here in the states that we call gentian violet. It is available over the counter but it isn't something that is available at most pharmacies. This is a potent anti-fungal and will really attack thrush infections in breastfeeding pairs. The bad thing if you choose this method is that you will have purple nipples and Anna will have a purple mouth.

https://www.bflrc.com/newman/breastfeeding/gentviol.htm

Oh, and as far as how I learned all this stuff... I love human biology. It is fascinating to me. So it's a bit like a hobby for me :) Good thing I have this hobby as I love having babies!

:cloud9:

Hope Anna is feeling better soon!
:hug:

Haha it's funny you should mention the live pro-biotic cultures and bio yogurt, I've not heard of those capsules but I'll definitely be having a look out for them next time I'm in town! I have however thought of other ways I might be able to help her thrush like this and might be guilty of slapping some yeo valley organic live bio yogurt on her girly bits! :blush: She has been eating the strawberry flavored bio yogurt, too! haha so attacking it at both ends - with yogurt! :rofl:

I have treated Anna's temperature with calpol when it hit 40 degrees, but it came down again so not too worried as it is coming down - if it was staying that high after calpol I would be worried, but going to see how it goes... As long as it doesn't go that high for long again, or go higher I will let it run its course and hope it does some good from now!

I gave her a nice massage after her steaming tonight and she has gone off to bed very well, so hopefully she will sleep some of it off - this is an improvement as it is - before she was sooooo groggy and just tossing and turning and not sleeping much at all but seeming so exhausted. Hopefully a good catch up on sleep is just what she needs :D

Thank you for all of your help - I will pop in to town as soon as I get the chance to, and look for some of those live pro-biotic capsules :)

:hug: x

Sounds good mama! Just make sure if you use yogurt "down there" (which is fine too) there's NO SUGAR added to the yogurt... that'll only feed the nasties down there... gotta be PLAIN yogurt, not flavored or vanilla. Just wanted to add that in case you or someone reading this didn't know that.
:blush:
:hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"