How long does it take to get used to a new car?

B

Belle25

Just got a new car. Love it (well to look at!)

My old car was a 2.0 turbo diesel, and new car is 1.6 petrol engine.

I thought driving it would be easy, but it's like I'm a new driver :dohh: I'm finding myself revving the engine quite noisily!

I'm scared about doing hill starts in it as the bite point is so different and less forgiving!
So so different to drive
Any tips?
How long does it take to get used to changing cars?
X

Sitting in slow moving traffic is a good way to get used to a new car! I'd pick a long road that moves slowly around school pick up or rush hour, but make it a road without traffic lights or roundabouts and then just go out when it's busy. The constant stop-starting will get you used to the biting point, brakes etc but there won't be any real pressure if you stall cos some people do just leave a good gap before moving forward again so people probably wouldn't even notice.

I think it normally takes me a couple of journeys to get used to a new car... although we got our latest car over 4 years ago and I still go to the wrong place for the horn :lol:.

I find whenever I get into my mums mini that I rev it like crazy (I have a diesel and hers is petrol). I've always driven diesels so I don't know really how to drive a petrol car (I know they're mega different). I never ever want a petrol car for that reason, I don't want to feel like a learner again :haha:

I guess you'll get used to it in time. How about going to a huge empty car park and practicing?

For me it doesn't take long at all but I regularly drive 3 different cars and sometimes 4. One is a petrol 1.2 corsa and the other 2 bigger diesel cars, switching is second nature to me now but I admit when I first get in the corsa it does get a bit of a rev the first time my foot goes on the accelerator lol

I think taking your time round a quiet place and practicing the hill thing etc you should be ok pretty quickly. I once had to do a 900 mile round trip in an Astra I hires the afternoon before and it had a stupid electric handbrake which I hated and didn't get used to it over the 5 days I has the car

Thanks everyone :)

Would like to do a nice little quiet journey, but sadly my first proper drives the school run! :-( so flipping hilly around here too!

It will definitely take a bit of getting used to
Xx

Usually takes me a few minutes.

I go between 2-3 cars:
2.0TDCi Auto
1.8 Petrol 4x4
1.5 Petrol Sports car

The only thing I get a bit confused with is in the sports car, the wipers/lights are on opposite sides (Japanese car) so I am forever putting wipers on instead of indicators!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->