How long for episiotomy to heal? Anything to speed it up??

BrollyDolly

Mummy of 1
Reaction score
Just looking for some advice on how long others have taken to heal. My baby is 9 days old and on day 5 one of my stitches burst leaving me with a slight gape. The midwife has checked it out and I've been given antibiotics just in case there is an infection but the pain is unbearable still. I can't sit, I can't sleep and I'm still struggling to walk for longer than 5 minutes.
I take 2 baths a day with salt, I pat the area dry and then lay on the bed with no underwear for around 10-15 minutes to get some air to my stitches/gape, I clean the area with warm water every time I pee, I'm sitting on a heat pack a few times a day and I just don't know what else I can do :-(
I keep checking it with a mirror (probably not a good idea!!) but it doesn't seem to be getting any better..

Any tips, ideas, advice, words of encouragement??

Xx

Same thing happened to me. I had an infection and was in agony.

It took about 2 weeks for me to stop being in pain. Then for the next couple of weeks, I was just a little uncomfortable. By 6 weeks, I felt 100% again. The first couple of weeks were the hardest. The antibiotics should help clear it up quite fast. Just keep the wound as clean and dry as you can.

I remember screaming in pain one night because no matter what I did or how I lay, I was in agony. It was horrible so big :hugs: to you. I did only have this excruciating pain for a couple of days though after I got antibiotics.

I had a bath twice a day also and used epsom salts. Arnica gel also helped a little. Other than that, just try and take it easy (easier said than done I know!)

Hope you feel better soon x

Sounds like your doing great! Keep eating well as a good diet is very important in the healing process :)

P.S Did they give you the lidocaine gel to take home with you? I had this and it did help numb the area and give a little relief.

Hi Hun, sound like your doing all the right things. Keeping it clean and dry is key! Try the moist toilet wipes rather than tissue paper and wear cotton pants and a pad if nessessary ( change it very regulaly)
It was a couple of weeks before I started to feel more comfortable but quite a it longer before it healed . I felt the stitches for 6-7 weeks +. If it helps I feel almost back to normal now. Not uncomfortable at all and I had a third degree tear too so it does improve!
Don't look at it Hun xxx

Sorry to say but the only thing that works is time. Your body needs time to heal but asking sure your getting enough vitamins as that helps.

I agree with above, you just need to give your body time.

I think I started feeling normal 2 weeks later

Yep, agree with the others. It definitely takes time to get back to normal. I had an episiotomy with DS1, and it took a few weeks to get back to feeling okay. A few months to get back to normal.

I made some padscicles at home that helped quite a bit. You can pour some water and witch hazel on some pads, freeze them, and then use them for numbing relief when you are really in pain.

It took at least 6 weeks to feel ok, about 3 months before it felt 'normal'

Use pads soaked in witch hazel, ice packs, keep area clean with wipes esp after bowel movement (if extended round that far)
Baths with lavender oil. Take arnica and get rest when baby sleeps
It does get better!! And stops feeling like a hedgehog in your knickers!!

It's difficult to remember now but I think my pain lasted about 5 weeks in total (and my stitches split as well). I actually saw a consultant re the stitches splitting and was told they could do a 're-fashion' but best to wait until I had finished having all my children. I was given the go ahead on DTD when I saw the consultant (2 months after giving birth) and it did hurt initially but was fine after a minute - I still get a bit of discomfort now when DTD but hardly anything to mention so it has definitely got better. To heal I was told to have lots of baths, keep the area dry and try to air the area. Also try to not do anything (yeah right - like you can do that when you are looking after a baby!). Also I ate prunes to make sure going to the toilet wouldn't cause any problems and thankfully I have had no issues with that. Hope you recover soon.

mine too 6 months to stop hurting but it improved alot by 6 weeks

Mine didn't take that long. About two-three weeks after it was no longer sore and we were DTD 5 weeks PP with no pain.

I'm three weeks pp and like you, have burst stitches so have a little hole at the side. I'm on two types of antibiotics and its just now starting to feel less painful (although its not a patch on what it was like at 2/3 days pp!).

I got something called hypercal tincture from an independent herbalist and I have to say its made a MASSIVE difference in the last few days.

The doctor told me the gape will repair itself in a couple more weeks but that the discomfort should be better in another week to ten days.

Get well soon hon, I know how bloody unpleasant it is! Xx

Thanks everyone!!! I'm glad I seem to be doing things right so far, I'm going to try the arnica and the lavender oil suggestions too. I saw my GP today for something and asked her to have a look for me and she is happy with the healing and says it doesn't look overly red or swollen so the antibiotics are doing the job. My OH keeps telling me that my body needs time to repair itself and I need to start and remember that I only gave birth just over a week ago!! Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut2024
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->