how long for sperm to recover from TRT?

cln1812

Reaction score
So thanks to reading online, I found out just how devastating testosterone-replacement therapy can be to sperm count. DH has had low testosterone for years but I'd assume his sperm count in and of itself wasn't bad before TRT. We conceived DD naturally (just took 2 timed cycles and only the 2nd had optimal timing), and he had the low testosterone issue then but wasn't medicated for it.

DH is going to see a urologist about getting on something TTC-friendly for his testosterone, but it's going to take a little time. First, he needs a referral from his primary care doctor for the insurance and then he might have to wait a couple months or so for the appointment.

When I told DH what Androgel was known to do to sperm counts, he was flabbergasted. He said, "Why didn't the doctor ever mention this is a known side-effect?" He seemed to be really upset at the prospect of not having any viable sperm (he's been on Androgel for his testosterone at least 3 yr. now).

DH is stopping the TRT, but in the meantime, is it worth charting my cycles or should I just let it go until he gets in to see a urologist? Does anyone know how long it takes before his sperm count would hopefully go back to what it was before starting the Androgel? Or does he need treatment to even hope for that?

So thanks to reading online, I found out just how devastating testosterone-replacement therapy can be to sperm count. DH has had low testosterone for years but I'd assume his sperm count in and of itself wasn't bad before TRT. We conceived DD naturally (just took 2 timed cycles and only the 2nd had optimal timing), and he had the low testosterone issue then but wasn't medicated for it.

DH is going to see a urologist about getting on something TTC-friendly for his testosterone, but it's going to take a little time. First, he needs a referral from his primary care doctor for the insurance and then he might have to wait a couple months or so for the appointment.

When I told DH what Androgel was known to do to sperm counts, he was flabbergasted. He said, "Why didn't the doctor ever mention this is a known side-effect?" He seemed to be really upset at the prospect of not having any viable sperm (he's been on Androgel for his testosterone at least 3 yr. now).

DH is stopping the TRT, but in the meantime, is it worth charting my cycles or should I just let it go until he gets in to see a urologist? Does anyone know how long it takes before his sperm count would hopefully go back to what it was before starting the Androgel? Or does he need treatment to even hope for that?

Hey there! I Just read your post and I am actually in the exact same boat as you! I was interested to see if you had heard anything further from with the PCP or Urologist.

My husband has had children before (previous marriage) and I never have. We have been TTC for 6-7 months with no luck. He was on TRT (Test replacement therapy) before we even met about 5-6 years ago. The doctors never told him this would lower his sperm count. After tons of research I found this is basically a male birth control. The upsetting news is that sometimes the sperm count never comes back at normal levels :(

My hubby has a sperm analysis next week, and an appt with a urologist in two weeks. In the mean time he did come off his TRT, and has been off for about 3 weeks. Also from what I have read its beneficial if the Urologist can perscribe HCG and Clomid (also used for females) to jump start the sperm production. It takes about 4 months for the body to make sperm... once it start producing it. My question is when will that be! :dohh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->