How long is too long (Kindergarten)?

Oh for Scandinavian education (are you in Finland Natsku?)! Here in the UK children who might only just have turned 4 years old the week before, will be going to school from 9am to 3.15pm 5 days a week...Some are used to it from going to nursery from 8am to 6pm but at least at nursery they can have a sleep if they want to and aren't learning so formally, and going at their own pace means they aren't as tired.

Yeah Finland. I can't imagine having such a long day so young, must be exhausting!

I was living in one state that had full-day pre-K (about 8 in the morning to 2:30 in the afternoon). I think my son did OK with it, but I know he struggled with some temper tantrums and had trouble keeping his temper the entire time, especially as he doesn't nap. Six and a half hours is a lot for a young kiddo. I personally appreciated it -- having that much time with just my baby was so helpful -- but I knew it was a little hard on him. He had gone to daycare since about age three, though, so it wasn't entirely new to him.

Now we moved to another state and he only has half-day kindergarten. He goes for three hours most days and only two hours on Fridays. While I miss having more free time, I have to admit it's been a LOT easier on him psychologically. He hasn't had any bad behaviors, no calls from the nurse's office because he's faking sickness (he did this for a while), no being barred from school events as a punishment (I hated that). So I have to grudgingly admit that it's been better for him, though that could be some maturing on his part. I guess we'll see how he does next year in first grade.

playschool is 6 h here but it is in a forest playschool so a lot less restrained than in a building.

Seriously, they barred a 4 year old from activities? That's a bit of an over reaction!

Yes they did! I actually posted about it in the forums here a while back, maybe last spring. He got barred from an Easter egg hunt because he wasn't able to earn enough stars or something (for nap time/good behavior/etc.), it really bothered me. I did go and see the teacher about it and by the end of the term we'd come to an understanding but I hope the school stops doing that. He was five when it happened but it still seemed unnecessarily harsh -- like, I'll put my kid in timeout, take away small privileges, but I wouldn't just ban him from community holidays. Thankfully the new school doesn't seem as punitive. Maybe that full-day pre-K just stretched all their resources.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"