• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

How long is usual for a potty training toddler to go between wees?

Boo44

Mummy of 2 boys
Reaction score
My son is 2 years and 10 months old and we've been potty training for the last 3 days. Honestly he's doing pretty well, he's been dry for 2 days. But here lies my issue and that is he can seemingly go hours between wees. At the moment I'm prompting him every now and again and he will usually sit on the potty, he knows if he's done anything, proudly announces it and jumps up. So if he just sits for a minute or two then I know nothing is coming, suggest we try again later and let him pull his pants up, no big deal. I haven't let him get to the stage of telling me he needs to go yet (this probably needs to happen soon I'm just scared!)

Today he did a grand total of 4 wees. He sat on the potty multiple other times and didn't do anything. Also this evening he said he needed the potty then said 'I've changed my mind' - he did sit on it but nothing came. So now I'm anxious he's withholding or will develop a problem with not going.

All I have to go by is my other son and he used to do little wees every time we sat him on which I'm not saying is better, just seemed more usual for a toddler to me!

Sophie's obviously older but she's always had big gaps between pees. She can sometimes go 6-8 hours without doing one.

My lo is also 2 years 10 months and he's been potty training since the summer, some days he'll go in quick succession other days (particularly when he's at playgroup) he can go the whole morning without going and still not be desperate when he gets home

How much is he drinking? I intentionally gave mine loads of fluids all day so she would have to wee lots so she'd get the hang of it. For the first 4 days, we set a timer for every 15-20 minutes all day and she still had about 4-8 accidents in addition to using the toilet several times an hour. If he's drinking lots and just able to hold it though, that's not a bad thing. If you think he genuinely isn't drinking enough (and his wee is dark), I'd get more fluids in him. Now that mine's older (she was 2 years, 7 months when we potty trained and she's nearly 4 now), it wouldn't be unusual for her to go 4-5 times a day if she isn't drinking a lot though.

Yes I think he didn't drink enough yesterday I'll have to try and encourage him to drink more

I think it just depends on the child. Rio goes anything between 1-4 hours between wees. Usually 1-2 though. My niece however can go at least 6 hours+ without needing to go. She'll generally go in the morning, around lunchtime and then before she goes to bed and that's it. She drinks the same amount as Rio too so it's not that she doesn't drink enough, they must get through 20 fruit shoots when they're out together :haha:

My little boy can go for ages between weeks but when we were potty training I deliberately gave him lots to drink

I think it depends a lot on the child. It sounds like you are doing great. I wouldn't worry about it causing a problem because its not like you are putting pressure on him to hold and you are giving him the opportunity to use the potty. It doesn't sound like is afraid or resistant of going because he uses it no problem when he needs it.

Agree with a pp I think it all depends on how much they've drunk. DD4 is the same age and though we started potty training 2-3 months ago she is the same, if she hasn't had much to drink then she can go a couple of hours, if she's had quite a bit though she can go every 10 minutes for quite a while. :)

Thomas was older when he potty trained, almost 5 but he would either pee every 15 minutes or go 6 hours without a pee. He was dry overnight straight away but that son went too.

My middle son can hold it much much better than my oldest, even though he's two years younger. I think it's just down to the individual child, and of course make sure they're drinking enough

It depends on how much he drinks really. I've seen Ollie go 4 hours not peeing and then peeing every 15 minutes for a while haha.

When I was first potty training him I pronoted him every 1.5 hours or so which helped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raisingbisho
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->