How long would you wait before taking a new baby out?

anita665

Mum of 2 & expecting 3rd
Reaction score
It's my mums birthday soon and my sister & I were going to take her shopping for it. My sister has booked the day off work. The thing is it's very close to my due date and I was wondering how old you think a baby should be before trying to embark on any outtings like that?

I'm not really looking forward to the shopping trip anyway - especially with my LO because my mother won't leave him alone & I'll just get stressed.

Personally I'd say 1-2 weeks. But theoretically if babies fine when it leaves hospital and is wrapped up warm. I wouldn't see no reason not too :)

Great question! My OH keeps telling me that you have to wait a week before you can take a new baby outside, but I don't know whether or not he's right??

Well after 10 days I have to take my baby to weighing clinic at the health center which I walk to and HV never said anything to me when I did it with my son :baby:

i also wondered about this.. 10 days seems like a very long time to stay in the house.. i wonder if there is any medical reason for this.. or if its just old wives tales?

10 days?! Im travelling to Newcastle to stay with my parents when he's about 3 days old. Its only an hour and a half in the car, but do you think thats ok? We'll be doing loads of outings to relatives houses as well i think...

anita - is there no one you could leave LO with for a couple of hours, and maybe just go out to lunch with your mum? Im sure she'd understand.

xxx

My mum would be annoyed that I'd left the baby with someone else when she'll want to see him. Also I plan to breast feed so I figured it's a bit early to be leaving him. I guess I will just have to see how I feel closer to the time.

Im lead to believe that taking a baby out is fine, its your self that needs to stay in and rest.

I agree with Fifi. I bet if you asked your MW, she'd say "As soon as you feel up to it".

Definatley as you feel upto it
i took Jack to pick Emily up from school the day after we came home!

When you have older children you have no choice but to get on with it LOL

Definatley as you feel upto it
i took Jack to pick Emily up from school the day after we came home!

When you have older children you have no choice but to get on with it LOL

Very true Jo!

I don't think there are any steadfast rules to how long you have to wait until taking a baby out. Life does go on such as grocery shopping, other kids, visiting relatives, etc.

But I do believe that it's when you, yourself feel up to it.

I'll probably be having mine a week or so prior to school starting next September and I have to bring my kids to school. :)

I think I'll be going out as I feel like it. I'm sure the first few days will be spent trying to get into a routine and getting used to being a mommy but I'm sure I'll want to at least go out for walks after a week or two to get out of the house!

How strange...I was talking to my mum about the same thing the other day and ....please don't laugh.

I thought you had to get jabs before you could take them out...you know like you do before you take a puppy for a walk. How thick am I?! :rofl:

i've never heard of not taking baby out in the first few days...are we sure this is right? I'm planning on sitting out in the garden with mine right away, or as soon as I can anyway. I'm sure fresh air must be good for him. And I'm sure the different smells and sounds can only stimulate him.

as long as he's wrapped up enough i cant see any reason to stay inside - we're animals after all - we're not designed to be cooped up indoors.

I agree with Tinytoes. I couldn´t stay cooped up in the apartment for one or two weeks, I´d go stir crazy. I would have thought fresh air would be better for him than staying in as long as he´s wrapped up and I don´t take him in any smoky places etc.

I figured there wouldn't be a really big reason why you couldn't take a new baby out. I just wasn't sure how long it took to adjust yourself to having a baby before going out on a shopping trip. I remember my friend hated going out for the first month or so because she felt really self concious if her baby cried in public.

I believe baby is fine to go out from day one, you must just take it easy yourself. Sitting in the garden and nice walk should all be fine.

i'd take baby out right away on gentle walks etc, but personally i couldnt face a shopping trip...all that crying, feeding, winding, changing and getting used to the whole thing. nope, not for me, not for a few weeks anyways.

i persoanlly think it's silly and selfish of your sister to expect you to all go shopping.

I want to show off bubs when she's here but I Know I'll be too shattered the first few days lol. And still a toddler to chase after.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->