How long would you wait before taking a new baby out?

I love seeing the differences in culture on this board. The fact is, the US has higher mortality rates than the UK- both for children under age 5 and maternal mortality rates.

Starflyr, you are seeing mainly one side of the entire bell curve. It would make sense that you wouldn't be seeing all the healthy kids who are exposed to all kinds of germs and who have immune systems of steel. Why would you? It would be easier to be all gloom and doom from your perspective. It's unrealistic to isolate mother and child for 1-2 months. We have to go grocery shopping, pay bills, go to the bank, take our other children to school, visit family and friends, live our lives, etc. I think its completely unfair to blame parents if their child does get sick. I'm sure the majority of parents do the best that they can realistically.

I had my first daughter right outside Savannah, GA, in the US, and we left the birthing center 5 1/2 hours after she was born and nothing horrible happened to either of us. If I could, I would go back to the same birthing center for my upcoming labor and delivery, instead of the hospital I will be forced to go to because there are no alternatives, i.e. no midwives or birthing center locally. I've exposed her to other people since birth and she has always been one of the healthiest children I know. The sickly children I know have mothers that carry Lysol and hand sanitizer everywhere they go. These are the children I see that have to have ear tubes, who are always on antibiotics and are going to the pediatrician 2-3 times a month. It's sad. I can't see shielding my children from the real world with real germs.

Obviously, don't let sick people touch you or the baby. Take sensible precautions, be smart about it, but I see no reason to feel like a failure if your baby does get sick during the normal course of life. We don't all have the luxury of keeping our babies isolated. In fact, the local health department wants to see my baby within 6 weeks for a checkup for the WIC program. I don't have a choice in the matter. I would really rather not take her there, ever, but I don't have that luxury. Guess it will be my fault if she gets ill. :blush:

Interestingly, I'm actually waiting to see if Kaya has Chicken Pox. She was exposed to it last Thursday and to be honest I hope she does have it, it's much better for them to have it early as they don't tend to suffer much at this sort of age.

Obviously, don't let sick people touch you or the baby. Take sensible precautions, be smart about it, but I see no reason to feel like a failure if your baby does get sick during the normal course of life. We don't all have the luxury of keeping our babies isolated. In fact, the local health department wants to see my baby within 6 weeks for a checkup for the WIC program. I don't have a choice in the matter. I would really rather not take her there, ever, but I don't have that luxury. Guess it will be my fault if she gets ill. :blush:

Woah, where did I EVER say it was the parents fault? Please dont put words in my mouth.

I dont think it's the worlds best idea to intentionally expose your children to people with infectious illnesses to make them get sick to build their immune systems, but at the same time, I know very few people who actually do that (except with chickenpox).

I DO see people taking their 5 day olds to concerts, passing them around at big parties, having their 3 year old's entire daycare class come and kiss the baby...things like that - not the best idea, and i wont be doing those things.

Trust me, I have a life too, I get having to take the baby grocery shopping and on errands - but taking precautions when they are still in the newborn stage is only sensible. Cover them with a blanket, keep trips to crowded places to a minimum - I mean, for example, do you really *have* to go to the sports game with 100,000 other people packed shoulder to shoulder in those 2 months? Wouldnt it just be easier to watch it on TV and not take the risk?

I will not be using lysol or antibacterial hand goop, or freaking out over every germ, etc b/c I agree with the literature that it does more harm than good - children DO need to build up their immune systems, Im just not willing to do it from the moment of birth on. 3+ months? or even after the 1st set of immunizations (2 months)? sure. before that? not so much. <3 months and sick generally means hospital, which we not only dont want to do, we cant really afford it, either.

oh interestoing thread i plan on taking LO out as soon as i feel up to it. if MW say u have to wait 10 days how do u get home from hospital then?

Woah, where did I EVER say it was the parents fault? Please dont put words in my mouth.

I dont think it's the worlds best idea to intentionally expose your children to people with infectious illnesses to make them get sick to build their immune systems, but at the same time, I know very few people who actually do that (except with chickenpox).

I DO see people taking their 5 day olds to concerts, passing them around at big parties, having their 3 year old's entire daycare class come and kiss the baby...things like that - not the best idea, and i wont be doing those things.

Trust me, I have a life too, I get having to take the baby grocery shopping and on errands - but taking precautions when they are still in the newborn stage is only sensible. Cover them with a blanket, keep trips to crowded places to a minimum - I mean, for example, do you really *have* to go to the sports game with 100,000 other people packed shoulder to shoulder in those 2 months? Wouldnt it just be easier to watch it on TV and not take the risk?

I will not be using lysol or antibacterial hand goop, or freaking out over every germ, etc b/c I agree with the literature that it does more harm than good - children DO need to build up their immune systems, Im just not willing to do it from the moment of birth on. 3+ months? or even after the 1st set of immunizations (2 months)? sure. before that? not so much. <3 months and sick generally means hospital, which we not only dont want to do, we cant really afford it, either.

So very sorry, I was having a 2 am hormonal/no sleep moment. Sorry I bit your head off :blush: I guess it was the tone I was misinterpreting. "but at 1-2 months? not my child. I dont want to spend days in the hospital with him for something i could have prevented" etc. I didn't see anyone here saying they were taking babies to high risk places. I think 10 days is a reasonable amount of time for some limited exposure. Sorry again :dohh:

I had no choice but to take my baby with me to my daughters class, unless I left her in the car. We went into town two days after she was born. I breastfeed so I am confident my baby is protected against any viruses, as she gets antibodies from my milk, so I didn't worry.

I took my daughter out the day I got home because we both needed the fresh air :blush:

* goes out to buy bubble wrap... cotton wool.... more bubble wrap..... and liquid iodine *

Really.... I think it's ridiculous to say wait 10 days, or more !!, before you take your baby outside !! Fresh air and natural daylight is essential for your baby, especially with things such as Jaundice. As for the whole 'other people germs' thing.... I personally think there are more 'nasty' germs in the docs and at the hospital, than at home, or in the shops.

The number of childhood illnesses is ever increasing, because everyone has these fears that whatever baby touches or breathes, is going to make them ill. I'm not saying you shouldn't be clean.. but to panic everytime someone sneezes... everytime LO eats a mud pie... or licks the meat counter window in the supermarket.. is just having the opposite effect. They need germs to fight germs.

So, as long as you're comfortable going out, and there is nothing medically wrong with your baby... let her/him experience life from the get go... not 'kept safe' cooped up indoors.. JMO :)

Fifi is right...the baby is fine to go out from day 1...bear in mind the midwife visits everyday for 10 days so you must be in! Women are at risk of haemorrhage in the first few days so midwives recommend you take it easy basically.

* goes out to buy bubble wrap... cotton wool.... more bubble wrap..... and liquid iodine *

Really.... I think it's ridiculous to say wait 10 days, or more !!, before you take your baby outside !! Fresh air and natural daylight is essential for your baby, especially with things such as Jaundice. As for the whole 'other people germs' thing.... I personally think there are more 'nasty' germs in the docs and at the hospital, than at home, or in the shops.

The number of childhood illnesses is ever increasing, because everyone has these fears that whatever baby touches or breathes, is going to make them ill. I'm not saying you shouldn't be clean.. but to panic everytime someone sneezes... everytime LO eats a mud pie... or licks the meat counter window in the supermarket.. is just having the opposite effect. They need germs to fight germs.

So, as long as you're comfortable going out, and there is nothing medically wrong with your baby... let her/him experience life from the get go... not 'kept safe' cooped up indoors.. JMO :)

I agree completely :)

Well i was walking around tescos doing the weekly shop the day after Lilia was born! Id had forceps delivery and had stitches as well but i insisted that it would do us both good to get out and wrapped her up well and got on with it. Shes BF so IMO anything i can fight off she can and we were hardly gonna catch anything seriously nasty in the supermarket or at a relatives house! I agree that if we are overly-sanitised then this is far worse as they will never get used to fighting germs if they never get exposed to any

i think i better ban my kids holding my baby then to many germs tut tut

I didnt think it was a problem taking ur child out straight away??? :shrug:

It has to leave hospital some how..........?

I'm due Friday June 6th. Providing she comes out before or within a day or two of that date she'll be out at our firehouse on Saturday June 14th for a boot drive we're having. We probably won't stay long cause I'm pretty sure I won't be up to too much activity, but we'll see.

As im due around christmas we are going to my mums so whenever baby comes that will be the first time he/she goes out
What date are you due??

Id have said a week, but as said that would be more easily done with a first baby rather than when you have a toddler as well. With Bethanie - she was in hospital for her first week and then we kept her home for a good few days before we went visiting family. I agree with when you feel up to it, im sure baby will be fine.

Some people don't like taking their babies out young!

We went to see relatives when Caitlin was 3 weeks the bus driver was horrified we had her out 'so soon' I was like erm OK! :dohh:

i think i better ban my kids holding my baby then to many germs tut tut
Could you start lowering the tone you come across with? I have pulled you on this before!

This is not an arguement or discussion so no reply is needed :)

I took Jade out when she was about 3 days old, maybe even sooner I can't really remember. Alfie was about a week+ and that was only due to the fact that my SPD was too bad for me to want to go out, otherwise it would have been sooner.

Personally I think if baby is well and happy then you go by your own instincts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->